Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,925   Online: 1099

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hand process in any developer you like for 9 dollars a roll.
    or 5 dollars a sheet (up to 8x10)

~Steve Frizza
    the Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    35mm Pan

B&W processing expenses

Last week Walgreens pharmacy sent off a roll (24 exp) of Tmax 100 for me. In less than five days the negatives and 4x6 prints were back and the charge was a reasonable $8.46. Can't beat that.

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Developing a roll of real B&W film costs over $22 plus taxes over here in Alberta, and it takes over a week to get the negs back. That's why I shoot XP2 Super or BW400CN when I want to do B&W. Much cheaper and faster.

Shooter
    35mm
    Paid 2,60 € yesterday for developing HP5 at FNAC lab in Lisbon. It takes 4 days.
    If one want's it, for additional 4€ they scanned onto CD at Base 16 (20x30) size.
    The BW400 (C-41) is 2,00€ developed, and it takes 1 hour.

Not bad..

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just can't imagine turning my B&W film over to a lab, let alone a lab using machine processing.

Shooter
    35mm
    The control, flexibility, and cost effectiveness make processing your own B&W a no brainer.

You get to choose your developer, and exactly how the film is processed.

Even if it cost the same, I would still do it myself.

My time involved processing my own pays a much higher dividend than the time "saved"

As a matter of fact, last I checked, it was about $12 a roll here. It takes me about 40 minutes to get to the lab, drop off the film, and get home, and then another 40 to go get the film when it is ready and come home. Probably $4 in gas as well. (Combining the trip with some others can help, of course)

When you do the math, it breaks down like this:

I can easily process 4 rolls of 135 in an hour. My cost is maybe $1.

Therefore I make about $50 an hour processing my own film, vs. paying somebody else. Inital equipment outlay was payed for in less than two sessions, at that rate.

The big benefit is that I can shoot more. $50 bucks buys allot of 135.

On top of that, I do a better job, and am now more comfortable processing my own film, than having somebody else do it (hehehe I said "do it" hhehehe)

Except, of course, Mr Frizza. If you are where he is, you should just have him do it.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I think some people are forgetting to include the 36 4x6 prints? How long would that take in the darkroom?

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I think some people are forgetting to include the 36 4x6 prints? How long would that take in the darkroom?

Jon
    Its a good point, if prints are included. It should be noted that I have no desire to have a print of every negative, rather, I might print one or two of a roll. It should also be noted that a straight print from a scanned b&W neg on color paper has very little in common with a print I might make in my darkroom. It could be useful though, as a sort of expanded "contact sheet".

I think it ultimately depends on what you want to wind up with. If all you want is straight from the negative 4x6 machine printed B&W hybrid prints on color paper, you might as well shoot XP2 and be save the money, unless your hell bent on a particular emulsion. (maybe you want speed, or grain, for example)

If I'm just snapping for B&W album prints, XP2 is what I do.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-16-2008 at 01:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having done the 36 prints per 35mm film, hand printed, it's a no brainer. You learn to read negatives instantly, quick tweak of the contrast occasionally a bit of dodging & burning.

I had one "client" for over 25 years, the worst thing that happened was when he lost his Agfa 6x6 folder, and his wife bought him a 35mm SLR, what a hassle, all the other clients had contact sheets then chose a few for enlargement. By chance his Agfa camera had been found, and he got it back on his next holiday.

Hand printing from 35mm was about 30 minutes per film, faster when using the early Ilfospeed as it went through my Ilfoprint processor.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I founbd my long lost Olympus Stylus in the pocket of my ski parka the other day. It had a roll of exposed film in it so I took the film to a local camera store---not the cheapest place on the planet but they do a good job. The cost to develop and print one 36 exposure roll of B&W 35mm film was $18---is this a sign of the times? If so I might as well soup my own 35mm as well. Is it this expensive where others live? Or is film being "discouraged" in my neck of the woods?
    It's expensive here, has been for a long time.

If you can stand messing with long strips of roll film (ugh), just develop it yourself in daylight-safe cannisters. You can do it in your kitchen and with a cheap liquid developer like HC-110 or Ilfosol S it's very inexpensive.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin