Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,494   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is having B&W developed expensive everywhere?

I founbd my long lost Olympus Stylus in the pocket of my ski parka the other day. It had a roll of exposed film in it so I took the film to a local camera store---not the cheapest place on the planet but they do a good job. The cost to develop and print one 36 exposure roll of B&W 35mm film was $18---is this a sign of the times? If so I might as well soup my own 35mm as well. Is it this expensive where others live? Or is film being "discouraged" in my neck of the woods?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yup, B&W tends to be expensive everywhere. Seems to be £10-£15 a roll here. It's because they don't have a dedicated B&W machine so they have to do it by hand usually, either dip&dunk or small tanks just like you'd do at home. This is time intensive compared to standardised c-41 processing so they charge accordingly.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, because virtually all the machine process B&W lines disappeared a few years ago, so it's mainly hand processed. I'd guess there are still the odd neg processing lines out there, but the printers ? I doubt it. Although it's not rocket science to resurrect B&W machine printing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm currently in Spain and given that everything here seems to be digital these days, I was surprised to find out they'd develop by hand B&W 35mm/127/120-220 for EUR 4,90 (US $7, £3.66) a roll. Push development costs 1 Euro more.

(Not including prints, of course.)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It all sounds pretty cheap to me consider that our times is the most important commodity we are given. I'd rather be making pictures then standing in a darkroom agitating a developing tank.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's about 30 cents a roll if I use HC-110 in my Jobo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's about $20 CAD in my part of the world. That's why I have been doing it myself since 2006 and I have not looked back.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi john

sam's club/ walmart sends out to fuji who sends out to dwayne's in kansas.
    when i have black and white done at sam's it comes out to about 7-8$/ roll.
    i have had a bunch of film done there, and can't complain ...
    i would rather have it done locally, but locally i would be broke before the end of the day.

YMMV

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'd be surprised who sends what out and to who

Back in the late 70's a new pro-Lab opened near where I had my company/darkrooms, I'd take in E6 or very occasionally C41 for processing and see photographer friends with their B&W films, I never told them we were processing and printing their B&W work. The lab gave a 24 hr turnaround on films and 48 hrs for prints, that suited us we didn't want the hassle of dealing with individual customers, but had slack darkroom time.

Ian

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I noticed that freestyle has b&w developing mailers for $21, and Ilford (Harman) has similar price in the UK.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin