Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 796

Thread: Wein Cell.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wein Cell.

This is probably a dumb question but can you replace the green tab on a WC to stop it from running down?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've done that, Mike
    It must lessen the reaction. I believe they state that it DOES improve lifetime right on the package.

With my OM-1 I get a good 7-12 months out of the battery, though. I make sure the meter ON/OFF is kept at OFF unless actually metering.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, that works, if you don't mind going to the trouble of doing it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I get good life out of my Capital D-1 with a Wein in it. 'Bout the same as SOS, 10-12 months. I change it on my birthday whether it's working or not.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I change the Wienn cells in my Canon FTb's, and all the other batteries in my cameras and other photographic equipment on my birthday, I know this is wasteful , but I never have problems with them failing.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I have heard that will add to the life of the battery, however I have switched to using the zinc hearing aid batteries with a rubber O-ring to adjust to the correct diameter. I can get a pack of 10 for the price of 3 wien cells. And they seem to last just about as long. Sometimes have to add a small piece of foil to get a good connection but that isn't an issue.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The washer from a Wein cell will pop off and then slip back over a 675 zinc air hearing aid battery. This works well for cameras which have an edge contact in the battery compartment. O-rings work well if it's a center contact battery compartment.

The exhaustion rate of zinc air batteries is also dependent on heat/cold and humidity. Under some conditions they last only a couple of months, under other conditions a year or more.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee.
    The only problem with standard zinc air cell batteries is that they are too big for my Honeywell Spotmatic.I found a great site by Microbattery.com which showes the actual dimensions of hearing aid batteries.Ordered 312 zinc air.

Shooter
    35mm

Not a dumb question

It simply removes additional air from the zinc air equation.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I sent my OM-1 for a CLA, I had it adapted to take an SR/LR44 cell. No more Wein Cell problems.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin