Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,004   Online: 773

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Focusing ring does not have enough resistance.

I dropped my 55mm lens a long time ago, and repaired it, but the focusing ring does not have as much resistance as my other lenses. This makes focusing less precise. Any ideas how to fix this?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does it make focusing less precise or make the adjustments more pronounced and make it easy to pass your sharp focus point? If it's just a matter of passing your sharpness just slow it down, which isn't bad advice no matter what. Just slow things down. (Preaching to the choir, here) I should take my own advice more often. But if it actually damaged the lens, it might not hurt to have a shop look at it to give you an estimate. Might be worth it, might not.

Keep it light, Marko
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I guess I'll slow it down. I am using a tripod anyways!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's also probable the old drying up damping grease in your other lenses is way stiffer than when it was new. Old grease dries up and gets stiff, to the point where you can't move a focus ring. The tech used new possibly lighter damping grease than the factory one and thus there is a big difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I fixed it, and it was like my other lenses in terms of resistance prior to it falling/me fixing it.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good call, Bob. Selling auto parts, you'd think that would occur to me, huh?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin