Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,777   Online: 1265

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought the original poster wanted the cheapest option. The Skopar isn't cheap.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Tamron gives the widest bang for the buck

IMO, the Tamron 24mm f/2.5 gives you a fairly wide angle coverage at a very reasonable price. The lens focuses down to 10 inches, has the Tamron BBAR Multi-Coating, accepts 55mm filters, uses the Tamron Adaptall mounting system (so it can fit almost any 35mm SLR), and it is quite compact. The optics are first-rate, too! I used one a few years back on a Nikon F2 and it compared favorably with the old non-AI Nikkor 24mm. Tamron has officially discontinued the entire Adaptall System, so you've got to search the used market to find a good one.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you can afford to pay 200-250 USD, Canon New FD 20mm F2.8 is what you can probably have in the used market. I have one and it's as good as other 20mm SLR lenses from the same era such as Nikkor Ai and AiS 20mm lenses. The Nikkor Ai and AiS 20mm lenses are smaller and lighter but tend to be pricier than the New FD ones.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tamron SP 17mm f/3.5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D AF - I picked on up second hand, immaculate condition, for $300. On Amazon, brand new, they sell for about $900

Shooter
    35mm
    Hehe

I don't know anymore. 100 bucks and more isn't really cheap for the tamron, I'd rather shell out for something extra nice and make it a keeper.

I think skopar is the best bet.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kiron used to make a 24mm f2, but sadly the better of the independant lenses seem to have held or gained value.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    Kiron used to make a 24mm f2, but sadly the better of the independant lenses seem to have held or gained value.
    The Kiron model is pretty good too. Their 24mm f/2 is not as commonly found as their 28mm f/2

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In 42mm mount: a Super Takumar 24mm, look for lens with a hood, most of the screw mount wides are prone to flare. For cheap with fair to good performance stopped down maybe a Vivitar 20mm. I dont recall if Pentax made a 20mm in 42mm. I have the Super 24mm Takumar and at one time had a 20mm Vivitar, the the Takumar is very good wide open, the vivitar was ok wide open and very sharp stopped down, but like all 20mm of the time easy to distort, I sold it at some point as 20mm is not a lens I used or needed very often.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll cast my vote for the 24 2.8 Nikkor. I've used various versions over nearly 40 years along with Leica and other wides inclusing Zeiss. The Nikkor is a benchmark in the industry and it's reputation is well deserved. The last one I purchased was a non AI on a Nikkormat FTN body witha case. Both in very nice condition and I paid $60 for both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin