Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,067   Online: 947

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1014151617181920
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use a Cosina Voigtlander 40mm/f2 pancake lens on Nikon bodies. peachy.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Fireguy,

There is one thing that determines my choice of lens.

The plan for the print.

Try this experiment.

1 - Pick the spot in your house (or at the gallery) where you want to put a nice big print and mark the wall with some masking tape the exact size you want the print. Frame and mat do not count.

2 - Now use the masking tape to put an "X" on the floor where you will normally view the print from.

3 - Stand on the "X" and zoom or switch lenses until what you can see in the viewfinder is the exact size of the spot you marked on the wall.

Whatever focal length you end up with will give you a result that I call the "veiwers normal perspective". This assumes no cropping.

I try to shoot very close to that norm unless I want to compress or expand that perspective or when there is absolutely no other choice.
    That is pretty cool. Thanks for that.

MolBasser
    If you don't eat a hotdog, the terrorists win.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the Minolta MD Rokkor 45mm f/2 a lot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mark,

I just tried your method and it works. I was looking at my favourite painting from the distance I normally view it, then looked at it through my 55 mm lens. Spot on.

An interesting thing. For a long time I was using only an 50 mm normal lens. When I changed to a 55 mm lens, I noticed I started to step back just a little when taking informal portraits indoors. I wouldn't have expected such a little difference to be so akin to the photographer, but I'm happy it is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only have four lenses. I use my Nikkor 20mm and 50mm about equally, followed by the 60mm macro and 180mm 2.8. I don't own a 35mm lens and maybe never will.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin