Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,256   Online: 996

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

35mm or 50mm, which is your main lens?

I was wondering what APUGers use as their carry around lens?

Also, I opened the back of my SLR accidentally :<

Terrible things seem to happen to my camera, first my lightmeter, now this!

It had a great shot on it too!

Also, I only have 1 roll of film left, and a few rolls of MF for the holga.

Would it be funny to use a $20 camera on a almost $500 tripod?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've gone through periods shooting 35mm where 35mm, 50mm, or 90mm have been my main lens. It depends on what you're shooting and what your vision is.

I have a tripod that cost about $1000, and I often use considerably less expensive cameras on it. I've got the tripod, so I might as well use it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firstly, unless you really left the back of the camera open, develop the film, I've been surprised at what I sometimes still had.

I took my 4x5 camera off my tripod and placed a $5.00 Aldi underwater camera on it and took some shots, the looks I got were priceless, but I was the only one still shooting in the rain.

Yesterday I went out with a 50mm lens on, as it was a 50mm lens day.

Other times I swing from 24/28mm European cities, 35mm walking around small towns, 50mm walking around my own suburb, or 105 when walking around fairs and like events. The 105 allows you to isolate the subject somewhat!

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last Friday was a 50mm day. But oftentimes my 35mm lens stays on the camera for weeks or even months on end.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my favorite lenes for my 35 is a 35-105 zoom, just for it's versatility. But I find that I spend more time at 80 or so mm with it, than 35 or 50.
    This still seems odd to me though, since I used to think of myself as a wide angle sort, back then, a 20mm spent a lot of time on the camera.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    21mm. Or 50mm, or 55mm, or maybe 85mm?

They all have their uses, so I usually leave the 21mm on one camera and change lenses on a second camera.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I'm in the mood and use my Leica M3 then I have to use the 50mm Summicron as it's the only lens I own, on my 5x4's it's the 150mm lenses that get the most use.

If I went out with just a 28mm or 35mm lens on a 35mm camera I'd still return with good images, you learn to compose the image to fit the frame , remember that the most important parts of your image are the edges.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My normal 'grab and run' camera bag has an 85mm mounted and a 24-70mm in the bag. The 85mm practically never leaves the camera though, it's definitely my preferred walkaround lens. Any other lenses only get packed if I know I'm going to need them.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my F80 a 28-80mm Nikkor, on my R3M 40mm Nokton, on my SQAi a Zenzanon PS 80mm.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with David. My most-used focal length has changed over time, isn't the same by format, ...

There was a time when my 'walking around lens' for 24x36 was a 105 Nikkor. I've always found 35 mm a bit short for general use on 24 x 36, it requires too close an approach to the subject.

Funny thing is that when I was shooting Super 8 I used 6 mm (on the Schneider zooms on my 4008ZM2 and 5008S-MS) and whatever the w/a adapter + 8.5 mm gave on my 310XLs more than any other focal length. And on my 2x3s I'd swear that my most-used focal length is around 4", with 47 mm a close second.

Page 1 of 20 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin