Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,282   Posts: 1,534,903   Online: 806

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just went thru the exact same mental torture and finally sprung for an exc cond F100 from KEH and it's indeed in excellent condition. Definitely more heft and a bit bigger than the N80, but feels great. The AF seems a lot more robust than the N80 especially in low light driving a "slow" Tamron 24-135 f3.5-5.6 screwdriver lens. I am probably going to miss the pop up light the most, but maybe the 1/250 flash sync will make up for it. I ran my first roll thru last weekend and I only lost a couple shots to an itchy trigger finger (seems the shutter release might be a bit more sensitive than my N80). I took shots mostly inside and some outside with an SB-28 and all seemed very well exposed and sharply focused. Most of the indoor shots were at my daughter's waterpolo banquet and to keep up with high schoolers the AF has to be fast. I was able to get some shots that I know my N80 would have hunted on and lost. Now to find the smallest flash I can stuff in a pocket, I like the looks of the SB-400, but I don't think it is compatible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's a good question. Does anyone know if the SB400 is compatible?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
    That's a good question. Does anyone know if the SB400 is compatible?
    I think that flash is only compatible with digital cameras, so I'd say no.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    NO the SB400 and F100 don't mix I have them and was bummed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted,

Years ago, when all I had was a simple Nikon EM, and I would run into a few extra dollars to spend, my first thought was "...glass, glass, glass!" What lens could I get? Is there a lens you'd like to have over an F100? If not, the F100 is a nice and worthwhile step up.

Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Very useful replies. A few points to note :

1) I have a Nikon SB-800 flash gun which, as far as I know, will work with the F100
    2) I don't have the cash lying around as such, more's the pitty. I'm just always looking to better my kit where I can and was wondering whether it was 'worth' upgrading from the F80 to F100.
    3) Glass wise : FilmSprocket - I am with you 100% there. All my major investments have been in glass. My Nikon 80-200 2.8 was my most 'serious' expenditure in that regard. But I have the Macro 60mm prime (from new), Standard 50mm (from new) and the SuperWide 20mm too - all of which seem like great lenses so far.
    4) Price wise - I think the prices I quoted where from e-Bay. Not sure now though because having just done a search again they do all seem to be >£200

I will give it some more thought and have a ponder, as well as reading a side-by-side comparison.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted you've got some really nice lenses there, so, getting the F100 makes sense if you can swing it.

The F100 is much better built than the N80.
    The F100 can meter with mf AI & AIS lenses (N80 doesn't). This may more important for me than for you, I don't know.
    The F100 auto-focuses faster.
    The F100 flash synch is 1/250 while the N80's is 1/125 of a second.
    The F100 uses the more common AA batteries.
    The F100 viewfinder shows 96% while the N80 shows only 92% of a scene.
    The F100 does exposure compensation by thirds of a stop rather than the N80's 1/2 stop increments. (Third stop increments are my choice, may not be an issue for you, though.)
    And lastly, the F100 weighs a little more but I relate that with added quality in this case.

I associate the F100 closely to the F5. I do not associate the N80 with the F5. So, with the lenses you already have, you'd have a really great set-up if you added an F100 to your equipment list.

I hope that helps!

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Thanks all. Very useful replies. A few points to note :

1) I have a Nikon SB-800 flash gun which, as far as I know, will work with the F100
    2) I don't have the cash lying around as such, more's the pitty. I'm just always looking to better my kit where I can and was wondering whether it was 'worth' upgrading from the F80 to F100.
    3) Glass wise : FilmSprocket - I am with you 100% there. All my major investments have been in glass. My Nikon 80-200 2.8 was my most 'serious' expenditure in that regard. But I have the Macro 60mm prime (from new), Standard 50mm (from new) and the SuperWide 20mm too - all of which seem like great lenses so far.
    4) Price wise - I think the prices I quoted where from e-Bay. Not sure now though because having just done a search again they do all seem to be >£200

I will give it some more thought and have a ponder, as well as reading a side-by-side comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the F100 can take IR film (not muchof that around now) 'cos it has a metal back. If the F80 has a plastic back that is another reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kram View Post
    the F100 can take IR film (not muchof that around now) 'cos it has a metal back. If the F80 has a plastic back that is another reason.
    The back isn't the issue (the F601 has a plastic back and I shot IR film in it without any problems at all). The issue is the infrared-based film transport system that the F80 has. The F100's system uses sprockets.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cheers Jim, at the back of my mind I knew about the counting system in the F80, but I was under the false assumption (as it turns out) the the plastic back was the main reason for IR not being suitable for the F80 - I stand corrected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin