Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,368   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is it worth upgrading from Nikon F80 to F100?

I have a Nikon F80. I am thinking of upgrading it to a second-hand better model (all my kit I buy is second hand mostly). But I'm not sure what benefits the F100 brings over the F80? My price range (that I am willing to spend) is about £200 ($400). The F100 seems to retail for around that price from new now, so can anyone recommend a better model that I might pick up second hand for that price? If so, what advantages does it have over the F80?

Any advice appreciated

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi Ted

if you don't know, and your current camera does all you want, why sweat it?

Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F100 offers moisture and dust resistant seals, a slightly better AF system and limited compatibility with non AF lenses. You can also use the custom settings to allow aperture changes via the aperture ring on the lens rather than the on-camera dials. The F100 is also slightly larger and heavier and lacks the pop-up flash. For outdoor fill flash, it's nice to have that little pop up rather than carrying a full SB-XXX.
    Why not though--F100s are going cheap and they're a hell of a camera. Buy it, keep the 80, compare and chalk it up to research. When it comes down to it, can you really afford not to try one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    My price range (that I am willing to spend) is about £200 ($400). The F100 seems to retail for around that price from new now, Any advice appreciated

Ted
    Ted. I had also considerd the F100 for a while and still look but I have never seen one in mint condition which is like new for as little as £200. What sources have you found where F100 is £200? For body alone I'd have thought "mint" to be about £300-350. The next F series upwards is the F5 but a mint one is likely to be nearer £450-500. If you do a search you'll find thread(s) on F100 v F5.

E-bay may return slightly lower prices than I have quoted but certainly Gray's in London, Ffordes or Mifsud's will not or will not quote £200 for mint(as new).

If you've found a F100 for £200 and you're sure it's mint then go for it.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yes, the F100 is a wonderful camera. I own three. The only camera worth switching to from the F100 is the F6, but I don't have the bucks.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "s it worth upgrading from Nikon F80 to F100?"

YES

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have the cash lying around not doing anything, why not go for it? From what I heard about the F100, it's the equivalent of Canon's EOS 3. I upgraded from an Elan 7N (equivalent of F80) to the 3, and it was worth every penny.

There's no real need to buy any analog gear new nowadays, unless you really like the new gear smell/feel. There's tonnes of lightly-used analog film gear out there, and you can use the savings for things like film, accessories, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    If you have the cash lying around not doing anything, why not go for it? From what I heard about the F100, it's the equivalent of Canon's EOS 3. I upgraded from an Elan 7N (equivalent of F80) to the 3, and it was worth every penny.

There's no real need to buy any analog gear new nowadays, unless you really like the new gear smell/feel. There's tonnes of lightly-used analog film gear out there, and you can use the savings for things like film, accessories, etc.
    or you could use that lying around cash to buy more film for the camera you are already familiar with

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    YES YES YES---Well here is my 3 cents worth

I use the F100 to shot Cycling and Rock Climbing and I like the faster shooting rate 4.5fps normally and 5+fps with the MB-15. The MB-15 grip make the camera a little bigger and if fits my hand better. I also like the fact that it will meter with AI and AIS lenses, on of my favorites is the 24mm f/2.8 and a Russian 16mm F/2.8

Oh yea if you get one I have a PDF of the manual I can email you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an N-75 and asked the same questions a few month ago. the answer is "yes". I brought the F-100 and use both. I have UC 400 in the N-75 and Tri-X in the F-100. I use the spot meter of the F-100 to check for the darkest and lightest exposures to get the most out of Tri-X. Sometimes I do the same and use the exposure for the UC 400.

The F-100 gives me more flexibility on the overrides than the N-75 does. Both will work as a point and shoot if I am in a hurry.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin