Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,865   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New camera question?

There is a local seller offering a Canon ELAN 2 with 28-80 3.5-5.6 ultrasonic zoom lens. The camera is in good condition, a few scratches. I already have a 50mm that I could use on it from my digital SLR. It's $100. Should I get it?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good evening, Marko. Just checked out completed auctions on eBay. Going for anywhere from $50.00 USD to $120.00 USD, cenetering around $80-$90. So, $100.00 isn't all that bad. It's local, do they offer any warranty? 'Course on eBay, you might be really lucky if you watch for a couple weeks. If time is short, I think your guys deal might not be that bad. Talk him down to 75.00. When he says 85.00, then go for it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No warranty. Should I go for it if I already have my Pentax camera? If I got the Canon, the Pentax would see less use, though the lenses are probably far better. I'll try to go see it in person!

Thank you Chris!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No problem, Marko. Just depends on whether you want it or not. But I know that Mamiya M645j's and Pentax MF's as well are going for a dime a dozen of late on eBay, well under $100.00. The glass can be a bit on the expensive side but if you don't mind not having interchangeable backs, it's a great way to go medium format for your finer work. Just another bone to chew on. Have a great night.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you! I am not sure about going into MF. I would like to, as I have a holga, and I like the quality, but even for large prints, 35mm is really good. I would have to get a negative holder/enlarger lens too.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah, do not fear GAS. With the proper funding, it can be a powerful ally.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it the Canon EOS Elan IIE? I bought one of those and that lens new in 1998. I still use both the camera and lens. The Elan IIE has several nice features not found today: Eye control focus, IR focus assist beam, depth of field program, multiple exposures, esposure bracketing AND it works with Canon's new flashes like the 550 EX and 580 EX. All in all, a very nice camera body. The lens ain't too shabby either. I avoid using it wide open. At f=8.0 and f=11 it's quite nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think it is the E version if it. I'll probably get it then!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chrstopher, you should be ashamed of yourself. Poor young Marko, who is, I think, still in high school, laments his lack of resources fairly often. The kid isn't rich and he seems to be perpetually broke too.

Marko, do you want to carry two different sets of lenses and a pair (at least) of bodies around? If you do, then I'll relinquish my position as APUG's village idiot to you.

Marko, when I was much younger I bought me a Nikkormat and, as I could, lenses to fit it. In 35 mm, there I am and there I will be. My Nikons (now I have a couple and my wife has one, it came as part of her dowry) still work, the lenses I bought for them back when are still just fine. I've saved a lot of money and even more effort by not whoring around after foul unclean alien mount systems.

Similarly, in 2x3 for me Graphics are it. They still work, so do the lenses I've accumulated for 'em.

Now, Marko, consider that evil tempter Christopher. The man has so much incompatible junk that he can't carry it all or use bits of this and bobs of that together as needed. I don't think you should use him as a model.

Simplification is a sound strategy. If you must go AF Canon, do it and jettison your Pentax gear. Since I see auto-everything cameras as inventions of the devil, I believe that you should stick with all manual. The next step after auto everything is digital.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's ok, he probably didn't know. For the occasional time I need automation, would my Stylus Epic work well enough?

I just bought a drawing tablet for my macbook!

Though now I hardly have enough money to pay for the 100' of film that will come in soon, though I am well off, I am a student. I'm in grade 10 right now.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin