Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,335   Online: 1033

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    Seems like we need a better definition of a 35mm camera. For example, putting 135 film cart. in a Holga that is made for 120 film, does NOT make it a 135 camera. Or, does it?

paulie
    The film it was designed to use defines the format.

Shooter
    35mm

Small 35mm Cameras

One of my smallest and lightest 35mm SLR cameras is the Konica TCX. It isn't much smaller than the original TC but it's lighter. With a 40/1.8 Hexanon you get a nice small and light package. I have three Vivitar V4000S cameras. These are probably somewhat larger than the Konica TCX but are very light. The Minolta X-700 and Nikon FE are both fairly small. I think the FE is heavier. I also have three Olympus OM-10 cameras. They weigh very little.

If I don't need an SLR camera and will not be shooting very close up I like the Rollei 35. I have an original 1966 model and a later Singapore f/3.5 model. These are small but not light. If I need to get closer then I would consider a Konica C35, Konica Auto S3, Olympus 35RC, Olympus 35RD or Minolta Hi-matic 7SII. The 35RC is the smallest of these and the 7SII might be my favorite. The Olympus XA cameras and the Stylus Epic are small and light but do not feel as sturdy to me as the other small cameras I mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There might be smaller, but my Rollie 35 is really small if heavy for it's size. There is no rangefinder, so you really need to be pretty good at zone focusing to use it well. The metering isn't too bad though, and the f3/5 on my Singapore model is first rate. It's does invite comments from the occasional passerby, and it is just so darned cute!

Shooter
    35mm
    I's not as small as the ME Super but The Canon EOS Rebel XS is way lighter. Even with a small zoom it seems a bit lighter than the ME Super body only. I don't have an MX but I think the Me/Me Super/Super Program are all the same size as the MX. The TINY button to unlock the mode dial drives me nuts and is part of why a Chinon CP5s will be my backup K mount and the Me Super and the Super Prog will get sold. The Chinon is compact,but not quite as small.

Was the Spotmatic the smallest Screw mount? I recall hearing that Fujica had a real compact M42 mount body.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I forgot to mention that the Ihagee Exa probably is one of the smallest full-frame SLRs.

A comment on lightweight cameras: I think cameras that are too light in weight work against the photographer by not providing a stable platform, especially when using a longer lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rembrant View Post
    I's not as small as the ME Super but The Canon EOS Rebel XS is way lighter. Even with a small zoom it seems a bit lighter than the ME Super body only. I don't have an MX but I think the Me/Me Super/Super Program are all the same size as the MX. The TINY button to unlock the mode dial drives me nuts and is part of why a Chinon CP5s will be my backup K mount and the Me Super and the Super Prog will get sold. The Chinon is compact,but not quite as small.

Was the Spotmatic the smallest Screw mount? I recall hearing that Fujica had a real compact M42 mount body.
    Not sure about native M42 cameras, but M42-to-K-mount adapters are pretty cheap these days (I got a generic one from B&H for ~$15), so if you're OK with manual operation of the M42 lens you can put them on your favorite K-mount cameras - I do this with my ME Super and get the added bonus of aperture priority if I want it (and manually manipulate the lens aperture).

I know what you mean about the dial button on the ME Super - however, I've found I've gotten used to it, and usually use aperture priority anyway, so I usually just end up using the dial to set to Lock when I'm done with it.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Never mind -- I just compared the Exa with the Pentax MX, and it looks like the MX is slightly slightly wider but shorter and not as thick.

You have to be careful with the M42=>K adapters. Some don't permit infinity focus. I found this out the hard way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Correct. Apparently from my reading prior to purchasing one the difference on some adapters is that the M42 threads don't recess all the way, which on one hand makes it (supposedly) easier to unmount the adapter without extra tools, but leads to infinity focus problems as you say.

I've had no problems with the generic adapter from B&H, but it does require a small (included) "wrench" to unmount it. Apparently the official Pentax adapter also focusses properly and doesn't require any tools to unmount, however, they are hard to get - I called Pentax US directly and was told they are in short supply and high demand, and were only produced every couple of months, and there was a long waiting list.

But, given the common availability of K-mount cameras, esp. for the me the ME Super with its aperture priority features and its size, I think it's a good trade-off (my M42 mount lenses are manual-only anyway, so no loss for me there).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    35mm RF
    A friend of the family had one of Pentax adapters (without the tool), so I gave them $25. I have one of the adapters bought from eBay that doesn't allow infinity focus.

The tool simply let you lift the adapter out of the camera body. A small screwdriver or nail file also works.

It's nice to be able to use the M42 lenses on K mount bodies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin