Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,959   Posts: 1,523,040   Online: 1239

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    I find 35mm waist level finders on the Exaktas a bit squinty, haven't tried a more modern one.
    System camera mate, they're all identical sized and interchangable. (They moved from the chrome folding ones to a single press release version around the Varex IIA with the Black nameplate, the visible area seems larger to me on the older version, but its harder to swap for a fescal glass screen)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Use an old Miranda with a waist level finder fitted. Really great old cameras with sharp lenses. A comment just from the hip!!!!!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    System camera mate, they're all identical sized and interchangable. (They moved from the chrome folding ones to a single press release version around the Varex IIA with the Black nameplate, the visible area seems larger to me on the older version, but its harder to swap for a fescal glass screen)
    More modern as in a Nikon F. Seem not to be expressing myself well in this thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yashica T5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can compose and focus on a 35mm screen at waist level then you must have eyes like a hawk! For street photography (which presumably implies discreet photography) use a 120 TLR – Rollei or Mamiyaflex – and get a decent sized screen and a quiet shutter.

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    If you can compose and focus on a 35mm screen at waist level then you must have eyes like a hawk! For street photography (which presumably implies discreet photography) use a 120 TLR – Rollei or Mamiyaflex – and get a decent sized screen and a quiet shutter.

Richard
    Do those have AE metering with the waist-level finder? I'm looking for AE metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by timeslicer View Post
    Use an old Miranda with a waist level finder fitted. Really great old cameras with sharp lenses. A comment just from the hip!!!!!

I collect Miranda's, the lens are very good, and E or EII has shutter speed priority and interchangable viewfinders, which I think is ideal for shooting from the hip. The meter is in the camera body, unlike the Nikon F, so you can still meter and use the shutter priority auto and the shutter speed read out when you change finders. A 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 or the 35 2.8 would work well in stealth mode. But no motor drive or winder. The viewfinds are somewhat dim compared with modern 35mms. The meters on the E have not held up over the years so make sure you get a camera with a working meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishy View Post
    Equally, these medium format TLR's you'll only get 12 exposures before its time to reload. And you'll only use 75-80mm lenses, which are 50mm in 35mm terms. I prefer something wider.

If your using from the waist, you'll not be eyes right up to the viewfinder, so it being large enough for two eyes is a non issue. If your close you'll use the magnefier and its a non issue.

The Mamiya TLR's have wide-angle lenses available and Rollei makes a wide-angle Rolleiflex (albeit at new Rolleiflex prices, IS about $3k)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cotdt View Post
    Do those have AE metering with the waist-level finder? I'm looking for AE metering.
    No luck. AE is moderately uncommon for Medium Format stuff other than 645 SLR's and RF's.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My old Miranda Sensorex has a removable pentaprism. In MF, I think I'd go with the Hassie for hand-held, maybe a rolleicord Vb or Yashica Mat (EM or 124)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin