Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,091   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Tripod question?

I am picking up my film and loading it into rolls today.
    Tomorrow I'll be heading downtown to shoot some photos. It will be bright out. I am not sure if I should bring the tripod.

What do you guys think?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It depends on what you're shooting and your approach more than the available light.
    If you like to hand hold and try for quick and unusual angles and perspectives or if you prefer to set up the shot
    meticulously and methodically before you release the shutter.
    I think you should experiment with handholding and trying many different approaches before slowing down.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was thinking of going and shooting a roll of photos with a 35mm, and one with a 105mm.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bright street photography, unless you plan something where it is nedded, flying from the seat of your pants forget the tripod and have fun.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm with Chris on that one.

Unless you have an easy way to tote your tripod around with you, it'll only slow you down and interfere with shooting -- which is what it's all about ultimately, anyway, right?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't use a tripod when I shot a wedding in a very dark church with an 85mm f:2. I lost a few shots to the wobblies, but the rest of the shots were worth it - and I would never have got them with a tripod.

So if the light is bright, leave the tripod at home.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Whilst I prefer to hand hold where possible, I do use two other tools when a tripod is not available.

A bean bag with a vacuum pump, great thing I bought in Jessops I think an age ago, you mould it roughly to shape stick the camera on top and you have a rock solid support once you pump out the air with the little hand bulb.

I also have a walking pole mono-pod that gives a bit more stability than just hand held, not as sturdy as a full blown tripod, but does give you the ability to use a couple of stops slower shutter speed to enable you to use the f stop you need to get the depth of field you want.

Jim

Shooter
    35mm
    Street Shooting to me means buildings but also people and as a rule you want to catch life as it happens. A Tripod is fine for Macro flowers,certain landscapes where you stop down for DOF. For "people pics" you need quicker reactions and you don't want stiff poses,kids hamming up,camera shy folks putting up hands or the local meth head pondering the "trade in" value of your gear. Quick and subtle. Blending in is a plus.

I once did a sunrise to after dark shoot...about 9 rolls,of San Francisco including a parade for Columbus Day,and another parade in Chinatown. No tripod.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin