Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,613   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Glass for Canon AT-1

I received this camera last week as a birthday gift.A total surprise as it was given from someone with absolutely no photography background (me mom).
    It came with a nice 50mm 1.4 and clunky Vivitar 80-200.Would owners of this shooter please advise me of some nice (affordable) FD glass.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have started well with the 50mm 1.4. I would add a 28mm 2.8 or 35mm F2 for wides and a 100mm 2.8 or 135 2.5 for the teles. These are a good starting point, available quite cheaply and will all deliver quality photos.

Have fun with the Canon.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Tony.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is the Vivitar the old Series I lens? That's actually supposed to be a good lens, as far as zooms go, but I haven't owned it myself.

I'll second the recommendation for the 35/2.0. That's a very nice lens. I had one for a while.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mike,

I've had an A-1 with FD glass for many years although I no longer use it. My primary use lens was the very nice (but heavy) 35-105 f3.5 (I believe there's a f3.5-4.5 version that is not as good). I also used the 24 f2.8 (a noticeably wider lens than the 35 and good for landscape work - the 28 is probably a good step between the two but I never felt the need for it) and also have a 100-300 f5.6 (which I don't recommend - if you have the Series I Vivitar, that's a much better lens)

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish the Vivitar was a SeriesI.
    It's not.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think the well regarded series I zoom is a 70-210.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, Mike,
    I've used Canon FD glass for over twenty years, and have the 50mm 1.4 that you have, it was something of an industry standard in Its day and highly recommended.
    It's difficult to know what other specific lenses to suggest without knowing what your photographic interests are, but generally speaking FD lenses are great glass available cheap at the moment.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My own experience with FD lenses has been very positive, starting with the 135 f3.5 that I found at a yard sale for $5. I bought a body for it and, well, suffice it to say that I haven't stopped picking up related bargain lenses yet. I have found this site to be really helpful. Good luck with the AT. I see more Canon bodies and a drawer full of lenses in your future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link Whiteymorange.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin