Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,619   Online: 989

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Hello

Since I posted a previous question regarding lenses and I'm in the market for buying a new lens, I would like to get the groups opinion on what are the lenses that a photographer should have?

If you were stranded on a dessert island with your camera, unlimited film and a darkroom that could do both color and B&W, what three lenses would you absolutely want with you?

JP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would take my 70-210mm Zoom for my Nikon F90X, the 35mm Sekor for my Mamiya 645 and 150mm Schneider for my 4 x 5 MPP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lol @ Les!

I'd go for a 24/35/85 combo in 35mm (since we're in that forum)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It kind of depends on what you want to do. As I've been using my 35mm mostly for bird photography for the last few years, I would have to say the 400/4.5 and 600/4.5 are my normal lenses and I'll often bring a 90/2.5 macro for the occasional macro along the way, but that's a fairly esoteric set of choices.

And bird photography would be the thing to do on a desert island, after all, since the birds come and go, and there would be a fair amount of variety, while landscapes and self-portraits might get a little tiring after a few years, and street photography just wouldn't make sense. The 90 macro would be fine for still lifes, and I guess since I would have lots of time on a desert island, I guess I could composite some big panoramas with it, so I wouldn't need a wide lens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my 28, 50, and 135mm lenses are my favs.

Yeah, Les is cheating, working medium and large format into the answer in the 35mm forum :P

you know, this question doesn't mean what it used to, what with the incredible zooms available today. you could say a 16-35, a 24-70 and a 70-200, all f2.8, of course.

unless you get into the nuances of optical performance among or within brands, the answer is usually something inclusive (28mm), something fast (50mm), and something to access from a distance, that will also let you do portrature (90, 180?).

Another perennial (sp?) question is the one camera, one lens question. The answer is often even a camera you don't own, because it's a compromise compared to the combination of cameras/lenses you do own. this question is often driven by the realization that when every camera/lens you ever owned isn't enough, maybe the answer is to reduce the variables and get back to concentrating on the picture, instead of the equipment.

BTW, remind me not to let Les do my portrait with his 35mm lens on his medium format camera!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    <P>

Why not?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If i had to narrow it down to one then it'd be my Nikon FM with the 50 mm lens.
    RL Foley

David,
    LOL! because you have a prettier keyboard than I do!

I could only pick one camera/lens per format, but in each case the lens would be a 50-75 mm equivalent in 35mm.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin