Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,839   Online: 749

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some 35mm cameras that I really like, but I don't like the small negatives, and I find the squiggly little strips a pain to work with in the darkroom. I haven't quite figured out how to resolve this dilemma yet.

Also, the percentage of "hits" is so much lower with 35mm that I find it sort of frustrating. It's the psychology of having too many shots available on the roll, I think; it's so much easier to just burn a frame on something that's ill-thought-out that, well, I do.

Possibly the solution is to go around shooting those cameras with no film in them, but I can't even do that with the Ikonta 35! :-)

-NT

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot mostly 35mm now after forays into MF and LF. My photography has become more of a hobby and record for my older years (but Alzheimer's or dementia will take care of that) then an important statement or a sale which I'm it interested in doing. The whole bigger is better thing only lasts till your bed ridden or dead and in the ground, then it's just something else to be gotten rid of by your relatives or the State if you die childless like me. The rest is shoe boxed or put into an albumn where it's seen once a year if lucky. The thing that's more important is serving God, family and friends. Camera format is not one of them, so bigger and better is meaningless except for people who sell camera stuff. May as well travel small and light.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    To me, 35mm camera, whether it's SLR or RF, is almost like part of my body, so it will not go away. But the mid-format camera is a different experience; it's more like an instrument I really have to learn to use...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Does anyone else have MF or LF setups that are collecting dust because (heaven forbid) you just like 35mm better?

My Mamiya setup (Pro TL, 3 wonderful lenses) always gives me great results, but it sits unused for most of the time. My usage ratio of 35mm to 645 in terms of film is about 20:1. I don't necessarily think it is because the Mamiya is just slightly more cumbersome. I think I just understand 35mm better somehow. I really want to use my MF setup more, but I always seem to go for my Nikons.

Has anyone made a similarly unsuccessful jump from 35 to MF or LF?
    Yes, more or less.

I've bought a few MF cameras and related gear etc. I keep meaning to "embrace" the format but my "go to" gear remains 35mm.

I'll keep trying to "get into" MF - but there's something about the spontaneity of 35mm that keeps it my main format.

Besides, I look at it this way: So long as someone is making film - they'll make 35mm.

So it could wind up being the "survivor" format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I regard my Pentax 645 a good friend, but the Contax RTS II is my first and last love, who has taught me the passion. Although I admit that 6x4.5 slides easily outshine it, I don't think I'll ever stop shooting 35 mm slide film (assuming an indefinite supply of it), one of the reasons being that I find the small format much better suited for macro photography of plants. An S-Planar mounted on a Contax loaded with 135 Velvia delivers all the quality I want. I shoot a lot of Fomapan R, which sadly isn't available as roll film, which is another reason why I won't give up the 35 mm frame.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Wayne: is everything okay? Your view about things sounded pretty grim. No need to have your family, or the state, dump your pictures! What you think we're here for? We'd be happy to take those pics off their hands to admire them for ourselves!

Anyway, I have suddenly abandoned medium format (my original intention being to replace 35mm with MF) for my renewed enthusiasm for 35mm. Specifically, I'm using my Dad's old Zuiko lenses on a Canon EOS 3 (new focusing screen too). There's something about the look of pictures from those Zuikos that's kinda nice when compared to super-sharp, super-contrasty Canon lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I still have 35mm and MF both, but in the last two years I have gone from 20:1 in favor of 35mm, I would say that is no reversed as I am shooting primarily 120 in my M645j. I keep 35 for the sr-T101 but I don't use it all that much. I don't rule it out, I just prefer the M645j.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like most people I started with a 35mm camera because it has been the vernacular format of photography for decades, but I was eventually surprised to find that I actually liked it.

35mm has a look, and is a particular way of relating to the world. I find it sad in a way that MF and LF have become more important because DSLR sweeped away the 35mm user base.

The reasoning goes like this: a DSLR has 12 MP, which is supposed to be as close as 35mm, so I'll move to MF or LF to have more "megapixels".

Some people are engaging in the megapixels race by using film instead of expensive sensors, which I think misses the point of using film: to achieve a particular look.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post

The reasoning goes like this: a DSLR has 12 MP, which is supposed to be as close as 35mm, so I'll move to MF or LF to have more "megapixels".

Some people are engaging in the megapixels race by using film instead of expensive sensors, which I think misses the point of using film: to achieve a particular look.
    Hey - dems fightin' words! This is actually the first time I've heard anyone say that people are switching from 35mm to MF or LF just because they want finer resolution, or want to print larger, or have MPs than the latest DSLR technology or 35mm will allow.

Surely you jest?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Hey - dems fightin' words! This is actually the first time I've heard anyone say that people are switching from 35mm to MF or LF just because they want finer resolution, or want to print larger, or have MPs than the latest DSLR technology or 35mm will allow.

Surely you jest?
    Well, I've seen quite a few people in forums boasting that their LF sheets were packing ten gazillions megapixels.

It's a recurring trope of film v. digital arguments that at some point someone will inevitably point to the eight jajajillions of terapixels contained in ULF film in order to win the argument that film can be superior to digital.

I've also seen many people compare the resolution of DSLR as equivalent or superior to that of 35mm, and arguing that full-frame cameras were "threatening" medium format.

And you'll also find people who discredit film altogether against digital in terms of resolution &c, "except where the larger formats are involved." In other words, they discredit 35mm as being useless in comparison to a DSLR because it does not pack more "megapixels."

And finally, yes, there are scores of people moving up from 35mm to MF or LF simply because they want to print bigger. Have you not noticed that contemporary art photography is full of people using view cameras and printing at ginormous sizes?

Edward Burtynsky does not use a view camera only because it allows him to "slow down and contemplate," but also because the larger negative allows him to print at 40x60 and beyond.

It's all there if you look hard enough. In this very thread there are people who simply do not like the small negative.

As for myself, I don't care who's right: I like 35mm.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 03-24-2008 at 05:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin