Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,162   Online: 1037

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As far as I'm concerned, 35mm is almost "dead", still love those cameras (an F2 and a Contax IIA) but can't stand the negative size anymore.

Got even worse when recently I bought my Rolleiflex for handheld work, I´m still thinking what to do with that cool 35mm gear, maybe one of these days I wake up kinda twisted and all go to auction. It´s a crime to have them neglected like that, at least someone loving the format would give them a good use.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shameless self-promotion: http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/mod/...view.php?id=49

André, I'd love to have your opinion on it.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I shoot mostly 35mm now after forays into MF and LF. My photography has become more of a hobby and record for my older years (but Alzheimer's or dementia will take care of that) then an important statement or a sale which I'm it interested in doing. The whole bigger is better thing only lasts till your bed ridden or dead and in the ground, then it's just something else to be gotten rid of by your relatives or the State if you die childless like me. The rest is shoe boxed or put into an albumn where it's seen once a year if lucky. The thing that's more important is serving God, family and friends. Camera format is not one of them, so bigger and better is meaningless except for people who sell camera stuff. May as well travel small and light.
    Completely agree with above.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Shameless self-promotion: http://creativeimagemaker.co.uk/mod/...view.php?id=49

André, I'd love to have your opinion on it.

Well, fair enough to the author and for those who work and love the format, I don't have nothing against 35mm, but again, my post above, was just a personnal statement, one should use what whatever work for himself.

I don't feel any nostalgia for 35mm, for the kind of photography I make, MF is what works for me, nothing else. Certainly I'm not going to lose my time or the time of others, trying to explain the advantages of MF over 35mm, MF is my thing, if 35mm suits others, great, go out and have fun with it.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by André E.C. View Post
    Well, fair enough to the author and for those who work and love the format, I don't have nothing against 35mm, but again, my post above, was just a personnal statement, one should use what whatever work for himself.
    Oh, I wasn't sure when you said "dead" whether you meant only for your own work, or in general. Didn't mean to imply you had to justify your own choice, I am just curious about opinions on 35mm in general.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the satement above was strictly personnal, nothing else.

35mm was, it is and always going to be, a valid platform to operate, if thats the format of choice for the photographer for a specific end.

Format wars, pixel comparisons and whatsoever, are just a bunch of crap, if you like, use it, that's it!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    35mm
    The grain from 35 mm film is chalange it is beutiful. Photog need really to master photography to the very end to be able to answer respectfully on that chalange. Misuse of 35 and its grain leads to disappointment and thinking it is not good, lets try larger format with lower grain. Larger format is for shift and tilt, but do not forget grain and with larger format. Grain is drama, one of the most important quality of photography.
    Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielOB View Post
    The grain from 35 mm film is chalange it is beutiful. Photog need really to master photography to the very end to be able to answer respectfully on that chalange. Misuse of 35 and its grain leads to disappointment and thinking it is not good, lets try larger format with lower grain. Larger format is for shift and tilt, but do not forget grain and with larger format. Grain is drama, one of the most important quality of photography.
    Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com
    That's all subjective, but I don't completely disagree. Still there are many more reasons to shoot large format than lower visible grain. And there is a lot more to large format than shift and tilt.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin