Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,728   Online: 809

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have the Instamatic 500- the story goes that it started out as a half-frame 35mm camera. Zone focus, but full shutter and aperture control. A good Xenar lens.

The Instamatic Reflex takes the "most excellent" Retina lenses, including the superb 50/1.9 Xenon. The 126 format does not do that lens justice, and I always ended up using a Retina IIIS or Reflex-S with it.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite Instamatic is a 104, with a dive housing!. I'm not sure what you were supposed to do after the four flashes on the cube were used, surface to reload? I've used it in pools, but not at any greater depth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know I had this bookmarked someplace! Sorry it took me so long. Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ricoh made an SLR called, IIRC, called the 126flex. The mirror was the shutter. It had screw in lens add ons, not really components--sort of like Rollei Mutars.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wow. I had no idea there were so many 126 cameras. I think we had a Kodak Instamatic 100 when I was a kid. The film is the same width as 35mm (with fewer perforations), isn't it, so it could be processed on 35mm reels?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes, you could home process with C-41 chemicals (that's the only option now as there is only one emulsion left).

The Wikepedia entry says that most 35mm commercial film processors should also be able to handle 126, but you'll probably need to convince the tech running the machine of that.

I'll shoot a roll and see if I can get the guys at Ritz to run it through their machine. I'm pretty friendly with them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you want square negs from 35mm film, why don't you treat yourself to an original Robot. Now that's a camera!! And, unlike the 126, it has a pressure plate to hold the film flat.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most minilabs that process 120 film can process 126, a few older labs may even have the 126 processing cassestte and printing mask. When looking for a 126 camera make the back closes tightly to hold the cassette in place. The large 126 plastic cassette is prone to warping. 126 has about the same film area as 35mm but square. My wife had the Kodak SLR as she wanted quick foolproof loading, shot with it for years but at some point the back became lose and prints were out of focus, she got a high end 110, but the print quaility was so poor that took over one of my Nikions and learned to load it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luck of the draw - I have a Minolta Autopak 700 on the way as well as 10 rolls of Ferrania 126. A few of the cameras mentioned above sounded good, I just happened to snag a Minolta first. Will now keep a lookout for bargains on some of the other makes. Thanks to all for the advice. I hope to be shooting this stuff next week.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's a case of money to spare...why not. However....126 is really a very limited format now,as is 110. If your aim is to try something other than 35 mm,I'd suggest Medium format.
    Last edited by rembrant; 03-27-2008 at 06:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin