Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,669   Posts: 1,481,758   Online: 942

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    it only takes one time for you to learn to double-check these things

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This is a tip from my grandfather.
    Before he started a studio session, he took the back off his bronica and fired a couple of frames.
    If you look through the back of the camera and through the lens, you will see a bright flash.

I do this on all of my cameras. The Nikon N90s is a bit of a chore. There is a little tab and i mean little. You have to hold it in in order to fire the shutter with the back open.
    You can see the curtain move across the shutter opening. The same for my mamiya 645. But the crown graphic and mamiya 645 are much easier.

I also found out the hard way that certain cameras like my mamiya have a slow sync speed. 1/60". Lost a bunch of test rolls this way. DO'H.
    When you do the test, you can see that only half of the frame gets exposed at anything higher than 1/60"
    -ian mazursky nyc
    www.prepressexpress.com PrePress for photographers.
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My most recent example of this sort of thing was at a reunion where I was short of space. Try as I might, I just couldn't get the whole group into the shot, unless I posed them at the bottom of a set of stairs, put the tripod on the landing at the top of the stairs, raised the tripod almost to the top of its extension and shot down on the sea of happy faces (myself included - I was part of the group, and my Mamiya M645 Pro does have a self timer after all).

It was night, and I was using two Metz flashes, for illumination.

The problem occurred because with the tripod at maximum extension I could just barely stretch enough to view and compose the shot through the prism finder, but not enough to see the shutter speed set.

Naturally, I didn't notice the fact that in setting up I had inadvertently knocked the shutter speed off the 1/60 synch setting, and equally naturally it went to 1/125 or faster, rather than 1/30 or slower.

There is an indication in the viewfinder of what speed is set, but it isn't particularly clear, so I don't usually refer to it, normally preferring instead to actually check the setting (which in this case I couldn't reach in order to see.

Almost all the whole group shots were ruined. After I finished the group shots, I put the camera down for a while in order to enjoy the party, and didn't notice the problem until it was too late to try to set up the shot again.

GRRRR!

Matt

P.S. on some of the more recent models of the Pro Tl, the shutter speed latches at the 1/60 synch speed. Now I wonder why they decided to do that:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    we all make mistakes
    and the only way to learn is
    by making mistakes ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many reasons I love shutter leaf lenses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin