Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,394   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

How did I scrap a 4 hours shoot.

Okay folks, I am not proud of this one butsince I would like to resolve the mystery, I will let you know what happened, if somebody can explain to me, it would be really appreciated.

Here is the equipment involved: A Canon EOS 2000, Canon EOS A2, Canon 28-90mm II USM and a let's say "general brand" circular polarizing filter. I am using all this equipment for a while, except for the filter, and never had any major problem.

Last wednesday, I had a shoot in a studio, with a nice model, I used my 28-90 all the time. First, I shooted a roll of fuji with my EOS 2000 then switch the lens on my EOS A2, I shooted 3 rolls of Kodak 100VS and I finished with a roll of Delta 100.

It was not an important shoot, just a way to spend the afternoon, but here is what happened: Back home I souped the Delta 100 only one half of the picture is visible, yesterday I picked up the negs of the fuji, the same problem, now I do not know if I want to have my 3 Kodak 100VS processed. I am affraid of the result. The mistake I can see is my filter, that I let on the lens for all the shoot.

But personally, I do not think a polarizing filter can totally mask haslf of the picture. What do you think ?
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You didn't set the flash sync speed. If you have high-speed sync with dedicated flash units, it doesn't work with studio strobes.

It has nothing to do with the polarizer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David's of course right, that's the only way to get half a picture, but don't give up hope.

Sometimes the shutter speed gets accidentally changed and it is possible your colour films are OK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The order of film shot was: Fuji - Kodak(3) - Ilford. The first and last rolls were shot out of sync. I'm afraid the three others were also.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Flash sync... you put the finger in the wound... This is what happen when you do not do studio enough often... I am banging my head on the wall right now...
    - Note to self: Next time processing a film, take notice of the shape of the beer bottle and the shape of the fixer bottle, and note the differences. -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick... you aren't the first, and definitely won't be the last to make this mistake. So stop banging your head against the wall. it'll just give you a good headache.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    I get nervous in studio shoots and almost always make some stupid mistake. I'll put a filter on, remember to open up the lens but then forget to close it back down when I take the filter off. I'll stop down for better DOF on some shots, adjust the shutter speed accordingly, and then forget to change back when I open up again.

I'm trying to teach myself to slow down in the studio, take my time and make sure everything is right with each shot, but it hasn't worked yet. I'm sure part of what makes a pro a pro is that they don't make stupid mistakes.

Shooter
    35mm

Also

You can also get 1/2 a picture when a shutter is sticking. I've had two Minolta X-570s develop the problem. Nothing to do with flash, happens randomly, in daylight, any scene.

Your problem wasn't this, certainly, but I just wanted to share an alternative cause which can make life miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    David's of course right, that's the only way to get half a picture, but don't give up hope.

Sometimes the shutter speed gets accidentally changed and it is possible your colour films are OK.

Ian
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't bang so hard, Patrick, I can hear you from my neighbourhood!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    On the bright side, it only takes one time for you to learn to double-check these things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin