Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,691   Online: 838

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't use 1/2 inch masking tape, 1 inch will give you twice the amount of grip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To be more practical: http://www.tesa.com

Tesa Perfect extra power tape: 2,75mX19mm p/n 56341-00019
    This tape will work without any problem and mostly you can get it in several hobby shops.

It works on my EOS (auto rewind), manual rewind cameras, no problem.

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used two methods:

• With conventional bulk-load spools, I've used about 3/4-inch masking tape ("Manco" brand), cut from a 1 1/2-inch wide roll, run around the spool and attached to both sides of the film, as others have described.
    • I've also used "pre-owned" film cassettes, acquired from my local 1-hour photo lab. These have a fraction of an inch of color film sticking out of the cartridge. I align my bulk B&W film with that stub of color film and wrap some transparent tape ("Osco" brand) around both so they're held together. I've done the same thing with a few rolls of non-bulk B&W film I've processed myself.

I'm still pretty new to bulk loading, so I don't think I've actually used more than half a dozen or so rolls of either type, but I have yet to run into a problem. This includes using the film with a Ricoh XR-X 3PF with motorized advance, although most of my cameras are manual-wind.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the preowned cassete method, and have never had a problem, even with a MD-4 motordrive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    Masking tape rolled round the spools central core, so that it sticks to the film on both sides.
    ditto

even worked with an F5 motordrive
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I prefer masking tape to transparent tape, because it seems easier to manipulate back off the film when I'm unloading without tearing the film (maybe I should just cut the film off beyond the tape, but I don't).

However if you do use masking tape, be sure to use fresh. Old masking tape loses its strength over time, particularly at the edges. (When using masking tape for painting, always use very fresh tape or your masked edges will come out ragged.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Masking tape is great, if you use a changing bag you can use black crepe tape, it doesn;t leave as gooey a mess.
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    35mm

Bulk-loading - which tape to attach film to canister spool?

Something I've been meaning to solicit opinions about for a while now;

One of my favourite cameras is a Konica Auto S2 fixed-lens rangefinder from the late '60's. It's a great camera, however, one of the few annoyances with it is its very strong film-advance "pull" - if I get to the end of the roll with a commercial roll of film, it's OK - I stop once I feel some tension. However, with bulk-loaded roll, if I get to the end, I'll frequently pull it right off the spool and not be able to feel any tension.

To date I've just been using 3M "photo tape" to tape the film to the bulk-loaded canister's spool - no particular reason, except its advertised on the package as not harmful to photographs, so I figured by extension it should be alright for film as well (not particularly great logic, I know).

I don't have an issue with this tape on bulk rolls I've used in my other cameras, but as I reach for the Auto S2 more and more I'd like to be able to not have to extract a roll in a changing bag

So, what tape are others using for this, particularly if you need something stickier/tougher?
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use anything that sticks. Masking tape usually, but I have used black pvc electrician's tape on occasion.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the accepted thing is masking tape.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin