Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,753   Posts: 1,483,916   Online: 1170

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Aye, I use masking tape. Originally I used PVC electrical tape, but came to the conclusion it was unnecessary and expensive - normal masking tape works fine for me & causes no problems with my Canon's autowind. The electrical tape is almost certainly stronger though, so you might want to try it.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Blue Max Film Spicing tape

I can't remember who makes it. It sitcks to itself like mad, to film very well. It is water and developer/fixer resistant too. I use a small piece to join two 120 films together tail to lead when I want to process them at the same time on a paterson plastic film reel.

I used to use masking tape, but finally spent $20, on the roll, which will last me a very long time. It is the same tape used to join film together in leader card type film processors. I know it can be had for less online, but my favourite local camera store had it on the shelf, and after some near misses in having film pull off the reel with masking tape I am now using Blue Max.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    mabman,

Do you make a loop and thus stick the tape onto both sides of the film?

Besides that the tape-issue is an issue to me too but rather in the sense of influences on film.
    I would rather hesitate to use a tape which contains sulfur in the glue and PVC tapes.
    PE or PET tapes with acrylic glue should be fine. But the residues could be hard to get off the spool.
    Am still looking for my optimum tape..
    Last edited by AgX; 03-24-2008 at 09:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: meant sulfur, wrote sulfide

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use masking tape. It's cheap, it works & it's easy to get hold of.

Shooter
    Medium Format

#3M Masking Tape #233+

Agreed: good masking tape works well.
    Agreed: loop method very secure.

Rather than a made-in China cheesy brand, I buy 3M tape 222+, part number 26334. This is available [I suspect] only from industrial suppliers and is, I believe, intended for auto paint-shop use. No gummy residue, even after years. Adhesive is very strong, as is the tape itself. This is the Leica of masking tapes. About $5 per roll, 18mm x 55m. Made in Canada. It is green, nearly lime-green. Also available in 2" width.

It is quite waterproof; will survive a number of trips through the dishwasher [food container labels, with Sharpie].

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use masking tape. I've never had it come loose.

It's cheap and you can use it to label the cartridges, too.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use electrical-looking tape I got at a local $1 store. I haven't had any problems so far, even with my Rollei 35! Plus the tape works for holding down 110 negatives on my scanner bed.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The roll of 1/2 inch Scotch lithographer's tape I've used for amost 20 years has never failed for a few hundred rolls of reloads, although used only in manual film advance cameras. 1 inch lithographer's tape might be even more secure. Like others above, I attach the tape to the film with maybe half an inch of overlap, wrap it around the spool core, and overlap the other side of the film about 1/2 inch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Masking tape works for me.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin