Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,730   Online: 927

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikor 35mm AFD ??

Hi all
    My lens line up consist of a 20mm, 50mm and 85mm AFD lenses. I find the gap from 20 to 50 to big and 50 to 85 a bit to small so I'm thinking about getting a 35mm f/2,0. How do APUG'ers find this lens? Or should I go for the 28mm AFD instead?
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the zeiss distagon 35/2 is better if you're after wide-open performance, sharpness, and flatness of field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes but its also more than double the price
    Kind regards

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My standard walk-around kit consists of 20mm, 28mm, 50mm and 105mm. (If I cut it down to three lenses it would be 28mm, 50mm and 105mm.) It is nice to have a modest set of lenses that you can grab without contemplating too much which lenses to bring...

So, based on my experience, I think a 28mm would fit in nicely in your setup. The 50mm is such a good lens that I wouldn't like to leave it at home, and the 35mm is relatively close to the 50mm. (Otherwise another option would be a three lens setup of 20mm, 35mm and 85mm).

If autofocus is not a must I would also consider manual (AI-S) lenses just because of the pure pleasure of using lenses of a very high build quality.

Just my ramblings...

Erik Ehrling (Sweden)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Soeren,

I once had 35mm for my Nikon set up, not so good memories of it due to oil on the blades, in 2 samples.
    If I was you and taking in consideration your present set of optics, I would go for the 28mm, why? Because you don't have a 24 between that great 20 and 50mm!

Check this out

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...8mm/index2.htm

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...8mm/index1.htm

Up to you, cheers mate!

André
    Last edited by André E.C.; 03-24-2008 at 10:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All depends on how you see. Before buying, you should put a 35 and 28 mm lens on your camera so to see if either lens meets your needs.

A 28 mm is more in the middle of the jump from 50 mm to 20 mm. 35 mm is closer to 50 mm so you'll still have a gap between 35 mm and 20. That's OK to have the gap if the 35 mm works better with the way you see then the 28.

On my Leica rangefinder system I jump from 75 to 35 to 24 mm, skipping a 50 mm all together. That's just how I see. Best to try to borrow friends 35s and 28s to test them before buying.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Go for the 28mm f3.5 AI lens on eBay. They seem to be commonly available and reasonable in price. This is a very contrasty and sharp lens.
    "If your pictures aren't good enough,
    you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Hmm I'm still undecided on this one.
    35mm AFD would be more in the midle between 20 and 85mm giving me a three lens kit
    Problems with oil on blades reported but said to be fixed since???? a new lens shouldn't suffer
    Sharpness? Reported not the best.
    28mm f/2,8 AFD I'm really not sure here it would fill the gab between 20mm and 50mm its cheap even new but there is reports both for and against it.
    28mm f/1,4 way to expensive though it would be nice in a fast line up
    In the AIS line I have heard nice things about 35mm f/1,4 and both the AIS 28mm lenses the f/2,8 even has a nice close up feature (20cm) I had this one but now the price has gone up.
    Maybe I should bite the able and get a 28 AIS anyway.
    Any one know the 28mm f/2,8 AFD?

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    28mm f/2,8 AFD is pretty average. I think it's based on the old Series E lens. The AIS version is vastly superior.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To correct cotdt, the AF 28/2.8 non-D is based on the Series E lens and is average. The AF 28/2.8D is exceptional in quality and has one more element.

Here is how I would make this decision:

If you prefer to shoot scenics, buy the AF 28/2.8D.
    If you prefer to shoot environmental portraits of people, or do street photography, buy the AF 35/2 (D or non-D).

If you do both equally, you probably want both lenses eventually.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin