Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,736   Online: 778

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Argh! Light leak.

It's all your fault, fellow APUG folks. I haven't shot much 35mm in a long time, but a thread here inspired me to pull out one of my old rangefinders and put a couple of rolls through. The self-timer control had fallen apart the last time I had the camera out---Soviet quality control at work---but since I can't remember the last time I used a self-timer I didn't worry about it.

It didn't occur to me that the hole left by a piece that fell out would go through to the takeup chamber! Shot after shot after shot ensconced itself on the film, rolled onto the takeup spool, then sat there getting a lovely stripe burned across it.

Out of the two rolls, I might have five frames that are salvageable because they didn't sit on the surface long enough to be completely wiped out. Obviously, the *other* 67 frames were works of genius, every one! Bother.

I've taped the hole and am trying again. But, really, how disheartening. Just needed to vent a bit.

-NT

Shooter
    35mm
    Soviet-era rangefinder? When there are fine Japanese rangefinders going for a song on eBay? I got a Yashica MG-1 there a couple years ago for like, $15.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Soviet-era rangefinder? When there are fine Japanese rangefinders going for a song on eBay? I got a Yashica MG-1 there a couple years ago for like, $15.
    I like the fifties-industrial gestalt of the Soviet RFs, though. And I lucked out on one of them and got an Industar-26 lens (basically a Tessar clone) that produces some really, really lovely pictures. Um, when I don't wipe them out by leaving holes in the camera, that is.

You can have my share of the 70s Japanese rangefinders. I don't have world enough and time to go in that direction along with everything else. There are plate cameras and TLRs out there that need me! :-)

-NT

Shooter
    35mm

Sounds like a nice camera

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I like the fifties-industrial gestalt of the Soviet RFs, though. And I lucked out on one of them and got an Industar-26 lens (basically a Tessar clone) that produces some really, really lovely pictures. Um, when I don't wipe them out by leaving holes in the camera, that is.

You can have my share of the 70s Japanese rangefinders. I don't have world enough and time to go in that direction along with everything else. There are plate cameras and TLRs out there that need me! :-)

-NT
    I understand. My advice was meant half in jest, but those Japanese cameras are probably more reliable. As you mentioned the Soviet quality-control seems a bit low on your camera - how long until a shoddy screw or gear goes bad and leaves you unable to use the camera at all?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So sorry to hear that, NT. I could have had the same probs with a homemade pinhole canera I made except I just happened to notice that the tripod hole goes all the way through (it was a folder and the bellows stopped the light). Hope it goes better from here.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well at least now you know where it is. Had the same problem with an old half frame that lost one of it's strap eyelets.
    Ronin

"Place your clothes and [cameras] where you can find them in the dark.”
    with apologies to Robert Heinlein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Hope it goes better from here.
    Me too! This is getting silly; I shot a whole roll with the same camera yesterday, only to notice that it seemed like there were an awful lot of frames, and then that when I advanced the film, the feeder spool didn't seem to be turning...

I've used the camera before with good results, but something's clearly Just Not Right here. Maybe a poltergeist has moved in there in the couple of years since I last used it.

You just don't get this kind of entertainment with d*g*t*l. :-)

-NT

Shooter
    35mm
    At least your light leak is from something you can fix with some tape. I shot several rolls of B&W film that to my tight budget isn't cheap, only to find out that my F2 has a light leak in it, but it is the shutter itself. The titanium foil in the shutter has finally given out from age. There is a small tear that doesn't look like a tear till you shine bright light into it. I think that I could still use the camera for certain things as the tear is only on the curtain that is exposed when the shutter is cocked. I could probably still use it for static shots. Only cock the shutter the moment I am ready to shoot, remove the lens cap and shoot. More of a PITA than it is worth if you ask me. It will get fixed sooner than later, just have to save the dough to get it repaired.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Basically then, what you have a is a more expensive, metal Holga?

Regards, Art (Runs and hides ...)
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marsbars View Post
    [...] my F2 has a light leak in it, but it is the shutter itself. The titanium foil in the shutter has finally given out from age. There is a small tear that doesn't look like a tear till you shine bright light into it.
    I have no idea what the internal tolerances are like on an F2---could you put a tiny dab of liquid electrical tape on it or something? Or is that just the sort of crazy idea that comes from people who use Soviet cameras?

-NT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin