Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,630   Posts: 1,647,985   Online: 992

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Anyone using an Urban Disguise 20 bag?

Does anyone have one? I am considering getting one, and was wondering if it would fit my F100, strobe (SB-28), and 24-120mm VR lens?

Also, would you have a picture of how it looks when someone is carrying it? I suck at relating inches/centimeters/whatever into life-size.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a passing comment -- I have an Urban Disguise 30 which I used on a recent trip. Pro - it's really nice in not looking like a camera bag. It appears well made and comes with a decent pile of Velcro attachable dividers. Con - the top opening is a straight slit, not a rectangular top flap, and I occasionally found stuff that theoretically fits inside is a bit cumbersome to get in and out, especially playing tourist in a large city. It would be good to do a dealer search on the Think Tank website and see if you can get to a place to try one hands on before laying out the non-trivial purchase price.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess I could head to Adorama next time I'm in NYC.

The reason I ask is that I honestly feel a little weird with a huge camera bag. I want something more unassuming, and these look perfect, but I also don't want a huge bag. I want the smallest possible bag that can still hold what I need it to hold.

What I have now is a Kata PB-48 and it just feels way too big, and it looks like a camera bag.
    Last edited by AutumnJazz; 04-05-2008 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Think Tank Urban Disguise 60, and it's a wonderful bag. Almost everyone I meet think I'm carrying a laptop bag, but they don't know that I have a pro SLR, 3 lenses and flash in it. Think Tank products rivals, if not exceeds Lowepro's or Domke's, and their no-nonsense lifetime warranty is superb. I highly recommend the Urban Disguise line of bags.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by film_guy View Post
    I have the Think Tank Urban Disguise 60, and it's a wonderful bag. Almost everyone I meet think I'm carrying a laptop bag, but they don't know that I have a pro SLR, 3 lenses and flash in it. Think Tank products rivals, if not exceeds Lowepro's or Domke's, and their no-nonsense lifetime warranty is superb. I highly recommend the Urban Disguise line of bags.
    If they idea is to disguise the fact its a camera bag so you don't get mugged for it, then having it look like a laptop carrying bag is probably not a smart move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have looked at the Urban Disguise bags, but IMO they still look like they would contain something expensive, whether it be a camera kit or a laptop.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had another thought on this (though I don't have much sense of the size of the gear the OP described). A few years ago I used a small shoulder bag that today appears under the various titles of "Day Bag", "Guide Bag" or (Zeus forbid) "Man Bag." The downside is they're not generally padded, although a small piece of foam in the bottom would help in case of a drop.
    A possible example.
    Some could use a little more room in the third dimension, although the soft sided nature helps. I carried a Canon A-1 with an FD 50mm f1.4 and an FD 35-70mm f3.5 along with numerous rolls of film and some other travel miscellany (including a small sketchbook/journal in a front pocket). I put the second lens inside in a padded lens bag. (The two lenses are about the same size - wouldn't be quite as easy with a big zoom, small prime.)

In 2002, I was generally able to take that rig through museums and places that require checking backpacks. As to being inconspicuous, this trek was in Italy about this time of year (cool) so I would put the strap across my chest and put a jacket/sportcoat on over it. With the bag hanging about in front of my left hip, it was nearly invisble from the back.

Some waist packs might be worth looking into also. Supposedly the ultimate for avoiding criminals is a padded diaper bag.

DaveT

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rob champagne View Post
    If they idea is to disguise the fact its a camera bag so you don't get mugged for it, then having it look like a laptop carrying bag is probably not a smart move.
    Where I'm at, and majority of the places I visited during my travels it's actually very common to see people carry laptop or messenger-style bags around with them. I'd rather people think I have a cheap laptop in the bag, rather than $3-4k worth of photography equipment since muggers tend to target photographers more than a student with a sub-$500 to $600 laptop.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They look like nice bags of the sort that everyone seems to carry in New York. I need another bag like a hole in the head, but the UD 40 is a temptation.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    5-6 years ago Canon used to make a green "laptop" bag that had a slot in the back for a laptop and space for cameras. I still keep my YashicaMats in it and it cost me maybe $30-40.

Recently I bought a "Stealth Reporter" and while bigger (a LOT) it was $200.

There really ought to be something in between, but sadly that UD-60 is still $189. Ouch.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin