Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,126   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minolta HiMatic

Shooter
    Medium Format

Minolta HiMatic

I just bought a Minolta Hi-Matic G2 for $2.00 and I'm having trouble finding anything about the camera. I've tried the Google and very little in English has turned up. Does anyone know of a good site that will tell me a lot about the camera. Like shutter speeds what f stop each gn number is ect... Thank you for you time in advance.

P.S. Anyone know where I can download a users manual?
    Why would God make all of us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello,

Try this site.

{http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/index.htm}

It has a chronoligical history of practically every manul focus film camera Minolta produced.

There's also a Yahoo Group for Minolta RF's. Very knowledgeable people - just not much traffic.

If you have a question though, they can probably help - maybe provide a manual, history, etc.

Good luck!

Jeff M

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Jeff View Post
    Hello,

Try this site.

{http://members.aol.com/manualminolta/index.htm}

It has a chronoligical history of practically every manul focus film camera Minolta produced.

There's also a Yahoo Group for Minolta RF's. Very knowledgeable people - just not much traffic.

If you have a question though, they can probably help - maybe provide a manual, history, etc.

Good luck!

Jeff M
    Thank you! you know I didn't think finding info about a camera would be so hard. Normally I don't have to search so hard and ask for help... Thank you once again. Still no manual yet...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've made a lot of images with an AF2, wonderful ones even, before deciding I needed a little more control and upgrading to a HEXAR AF.
    I sold the camera for exactly what I paid for it, 5$, to someone that would use it once my HEXAR was in my grubby little paws.

I was always surprised at the fit and finish of the thing, I'd held others of the same model and they were plasticy, I guess there were different types, as mine felt like it had metal top and bottom plates, had a nice weight to it and just kind of shined a bit better than the others.
    It was the version without the 'prefocus' switch.

There isn't much more satisfying than the sound of tripping the shutter on that, hearing the lens twist in that instant before the shutter trips.
    It's very satisfying. Meter was spot on as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nope nothing still... I'm giving up. I'll just use what I've found and put it together in my own words and put it up on a website with examples and tips I think... If I ever get around to it that is.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyBrotherton View Post
    I just bought a Minolta Hi-Matic G2 for $2.00 and I'm having trouble finding anything about the camera. I've tried the Google and very little in English has turned up. Does anyone know of a good site that will tell me a lot about the camera. Like shutter speeds what f stop each gn number is ect... Thank you for you time in advance.

P.S. Anyone know where I can download a users manual?
    Did you say $2.00 ?
    Gosh thats good price
    where did you get it........hmmmm....maybe I should get my paws on one too

Shooter
    Large Format
    I haven't heard of it either, sorry. How do you like it? I'd be interested in a page with pictures.. I had a himatic 7s, it was awesome. Sharp sharp sharp, beautiful out of focus areas wide open.. Rugged.. until the lens separated from the shutter. Ah well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Hi Matic 7s was a great and glorious beast of a camera!

I had one, but later got a 7sII, which was more compact (like the G and AF2 mentioned above) but still on par mechanically with the 7s. Reminiscent, actually, of the CLE.

The G and AF2 were not quite point-and-shoot cameras, but Minolta got closer with each new model they put out - probably why others have noticed some (newer) models with less metal and more plastic.

The glass, however was - to my knowledge - always Rokkor glass and in some instances rumored to be Leica designed (as is the case with the 7sII).

Great cameras all. It's a shame Minolta is gone - but the Sony DSLRs are Minolta in all but name: including the great Minolta glass with its glorious bokeh.

As well built as these RF's were made, they'll be around for our children to enjoy if they so desire. My little girl shoots with my / her Minolta A2 rangefinder (she's 8). Shoots better artwork than her old man.

Jeff M

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That AOL page pretty much sums up what you need to know: it's a program auto-exposure camera, but you can half press the shutter release to lock exposure on one part of a scene before recomposing and completing the shutter press to expose at that setting.

The GN settings on the lens are for flash work, though since they control aperture you can override the auto-exposure to gain some control I think. But it's mainly an auto-exposure camera, it just lets you set the lens guide-number control for your flash output if you're using flash.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin