Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,478   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The body must have some sensor over the image plane that can detect image movement; and distinguish it from brightness variation, which asks for a set of detectors.

This set of detectors must be coupled to the electronic control of the stabilizing element inside the lens.
    I suspect that is the method of stabilization for Nikon's VR system, as they require a minimum number of AF points for operation (I believe it is 5), but I know on Canon's IS system, there are two accelerometers (X & Y) in the lens, and a matching set of electromagnetic coils that detect and counteract motion. All the camera body does is just tell when to turn the IS on and off. As for compatibility within the Canon system, IS works on all models, but it may shake after the shutter release on the early bodies.
    Last edited by Dirb9; 04-18-2008 at 04:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi mabman,I am a pentaxuser myself as you may have gathered from my non de plume. I have never seen any pentax lenses that incorporate any form of image stabiliser or vibration reduction either. At that point at which Canon and Nikon continued to develop their 35mm cameras Pentax seemed to rest on its laurels and lost its way and more than a little ground which in terms of film cameras it never made up. Pity.

So with a ME super I think you are stuck with non image stabilising lenses. Probably not too much of a problem even for handholding except in low light or high speed action photography or if the zoom is very big. Monopods and tripods can be a bit of a pain to carry around but even the very best are probably cheaper than a VR or IS lens and VR or IS in most situations is unlikely to match the rock steadiness of a tripod.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Best solution is tripod. Even if you have image stabilizer on lens, try to shoot 1/2 second or slower
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No the best solution is not always a tripod.

I have to move around fast usually in a melee of people while shooting rock concerts, lens at almost full aperture and on the limits of hand holdabilty usually with shutter speeds of a 60th or less. So an IS lens would be an enormous help, I have used the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS lens and it does make a huge difference.

Ian

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There is also one lens from Sigma, but the best IS is definitely from Canon (yes, I also tried Nikon).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Nikon F6 is compatible with VR, i think also the F100 and F5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Regarding the Kenyon gyro systems... has anyone purchased one and used it for their photography?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And what about IS versus monopod (concerning blurr)?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    But surprisingly inconvenient if you want to walk around for several hours
    That's not inconvenient.

This is inconvenient:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...rr20x24bw2.jpg
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...extendedbw.jpg

I wouldn't sweat the primes vs. zooms issue - Canon's L zoom lenses with IS are all top-notch, wickedly sharp lenses. You might squeeze a couple more LPM out of a prime, but the L zooms are pretty damned good.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Regarding the Kenyon gyro systems... has anyone purchased one and used it for their photography?
    I have a Kenyon KS-6 kit and used it with a Pentax 67 for an aerial photography business I had in the late 90’s. Image stabilization lenses were just being introduced, and only a very few models, all 35mm. I needed a larger negative, so I used the P67.

For air to ground shots, I used a 55-105mm zoom and could set the shutter speed fast, up to 1/1000. At that shutter speed the gyro wasn’t absolutely necessary, but it did make holding the camera and framing the scene much smoother. And maybe it did contribute somewhat to the very sharp results.

For air to air shots, the gyro was indispensable. I primarily used a 200mm lens, but sometimes a 300mm lens, and the shutter speeds had to be 1/60 or maybe 1/125 to get the optimum propeller blur. The results were almost always tack sharp.
    —Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin