Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,603   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Topcon RE Super

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Just joined APUG and saw your note about Topcon 85mm's. You mentioned that they were "1:4" May I assume that this was a typo, and you meant "1.4?" If the latter, I'm puzzled, because I have a pair of black 85's, and they are f1.8's.

I was doing a lot of research using Topcon cameras in the 70's and 80's, and Beseler, who imported Topcon at the time, graciously went through their supply of 85's, which according to my tests, had the highest resolving power of any commercially available mid focal length lenses, and found a pair that were very closely matched in focal length. Usually a focal length of 85mm means "85mm +-about 4mm. I needed them matched within a millimeter.

For 25 years, I taught a scientific photography course using Topcons, and they were, and are, supurb cameras for the purpose. I'm sure mine will outlive me.

Frank Heppner
    Department of Biological Sciences
    University of Rhode Island
    Hi Birdman, and welcome to APUG.

I'm with you. I have been wanting the 85mm F1.8 (they didn't make a F1.4 to my knowlegde) for many many years...

there is a big site where we can go and see what's out there:

http://members.cox.net/topconcollection/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both the RE Super and Super D. They are almost the same. The lenses are just perfect. But, it does not handle glare very well, as somebody mention before that they were single coated. For B&W, this issue is not as obvious as color.

Just love the system. Getting another Super DM too.

Shooter
    35mm

super dm meterproblem

Its your battery. Mine came with the original mercury- dead. I bought an insert that
    a D 386 fits into that steps down the voltage . I bought it online from an outfit in arizona and I cant tell you the brand name or the place I got it but it makes the meter act as it should. . The big black bar is there to tell you not to take the picture. The slim needle is as usual to be centered. I will try to find out the name of the product and the supplier and post them here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin