Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,355   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Topcon RE Super

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Topcon RE Super

Hello folks,
    Just wondering if there are many Topcon shooters out there.
    I recently picked up a Topcon RE Super with a beautiful RE 85mm 1:4 Auto-Topcor lens - Tokyo Kogaku Japan
    I am anxious to shoot it soon. Appears everything is working.

Question, how is this lens? Looks like it is multi coated - very clean lens with massive amounts of glass. Are there any manuals for the re super to download a pdf on?

Thanks in advance for your input/answers.
    Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've used Topcons, RE Super and Super D, for more than twenty years. Very good cameras. Very good system.
    Sorry, I can't give you any first hand information on the 85mm; I'd be surprised it it wasn't a quality lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Navy used Topcons for several years, I saw several Navy kits, Topcon Super D, 3 lens and a motor drive in a all metal case. The Air Force used Nikon Fs but what I liked about the Topcon was that the meter was build into the camera body, change finders and keep the meter. Lens had good reps, but I think some were slow compared to Canon and Nikon, from what I recall had something to do with the Extka mount Topcon used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The fella I bought this from told me his grandfather bought it or acuired it when he was in Veitnam. The camera says that it is an RE SUPER in the upper left hand corner looking directly towards the lens. I am not sure what determines the "D" title. Camera serial number is 4663524, lens sn is 11226460 so I am not sure what year it is either.any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Super D in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by ishutteratthethought View Post
    The fella I bought this from told me his grandfather bought it or acuired it when he was in Veitnam. The camera says that it is an RE SUPER in the upper left hand corner looking directly towards the lens. I am not sure what determines the "D" title. Camera serial number is 4663524, lens sn is 11226460 so I am not sure what year it is either.any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    This model was known as the Super D in the USA. I bought mine in 1963 or '64. It was the first 35mm SLR with a TTL full-aperture light meter, interchangeable prism, interchangeable focus screens, and a real motor drive system. Nikon followed later with the Nikon F Photomic Tn, and later again with the Nikon F Photomic FTN. Then followed Canon with the F-1 system. But Topcon was first. I have used that camera many times in the past, but not with the 85mm lens. All the Topcon glass that I owned was spectacular, especially the 25mm and the 100mm. My friend had a complete Nikon system in the early '60's and we tested my Topcors against his Nikkors. The Topcors were slightly superior in resolution, but slightly less contrasty. Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am just waiting for an opportunity to try out my brother's Topcon RE-2, it belonged to my dad. From what I gather, the optics are really nice. The camera is on loan for the next little while.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am sure you will be greatly pleased with the results. Those model Topcon SLRs had outstanding reputations; flexible, rugged, very good glass. Underappreciated, IMHO.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I have several Topcon's - a Super D - two RE Super DM with winders and a LOT of lenses - but the lens I have never had is the 85mm..... (on the other hand I have the "legend" - the very first produced 300mm 2.8, which is huge and heavy!!

you're are in for a treat!

I have always been amazed with the quality of the lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently picked up a Topcon Unirex -- my first non-compact camera! I've been reading a bit and the unirex is one of Topcon's consumer cameras from the first half of the 70s. I'm having a lot of fun learning how to use an SLR with this camera. The unirex doesn't seem to have the best reputation because of the leaf shutter, but mine seems to be in good condition (and the camera only had previous owner).

I had to jam a hearing aid battery into the camera, but the exposure meter works fine with the battery replacement.

A quick google search locates the manual for the RE Super: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/beseler...n_re_super.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In my collection there are 3 Topcons: RE Super, RE-2 and a Super DM. Lenses 35mm, 58mm, 100mm, 135mm and the Soligor-built zoom without tripod ring.
    The light metering system of the RE Super is not functional, both other cams are fine. I like the GN (Guide Number) lens of the Super DM best.
    Also some instruction manuals are here: R, RE Super, RE-2.
    IMHO an underrated system.
    I sold the Unirex variant, after acquiring the RE equipment...
    Hans.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin