Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,032   Online: 885

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Every now and somebody posts a question: should I buy this, or should I buy that?

And we don't know what that person shoots, how they shoot or what they value most in a body. Or what their kit budget is. These are things that obviously should go into a decision (and into our advice too!)
    That's exactly why I very seldom actually say what a person should buy. My answer in this thread gives compelling reasons to buy either camera. It's up to the original poster to decide which reasons are more compelling for him.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always suggest that you rent/hire the cameras you are comparing and choose from there. I bought an old second hand F100 four years ago without any bells and whistles and still find it a very useful tool for some of my work. That's all it is, a good tool. GAS is overrated. Pete, if you can, run a couple of rolls through each camera you are comparing and see how you go. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot F5s on a regular basis. The main weakness of the F5 imo compared to modern pro cameras is the AF. It's fast, sure, and 12 years ago was tops, but by todays standards it's dated. Mostly b/c there's only 5 points and they're in a narrow spread. For this reason I usually have the F5s set to manual focus. (This same criticism goes for the F100).

They weren't on your list, but my favorite Nikon bodies are the F3hp and the F6. My F3s see more use than any of my other gear.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    . Get the F5 camera. If you need a smaller footprint in front of your subject, or just don't need the weight around your neck and shoulders, get the F100.

I thought I could work out what a "smaller footprint in front of your subject" is from the context but I can't. Can you amplify on this? Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the F 100 and F 5 and prefer the F5 its the most professional Film camera ever build and you can change viewfinders etc. and the metering is still one of the best even better on most digitals. I had a success rate of around 99% correct metered slides, this was amazing!
    The shutter is also self controlled and there was a F 5 from a german photostudio got in service to Nikon with over 1'000'000 shoots!
    Get the best from the past!

Armin Seeholzer
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I thought I could work out what a "smaller footprint in front of your subject" is from the context but I can't. Can you amplify on this? Thanks

pentaxuser
    I think what he means is it's a smaller camera between your face, and your subject's face. A big huge camera can be an unnerving thing for some portrait work, and the F100 may not appear as intimidating as the F5 to your sitters.

That is if... portraits are something you routinely make!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own two Nikon F100s and I feel they are a more flexible camera due to the fact the isn't a mandatory vertical grip. However, with the F5 you do get a more robust build, removable pentaprism, a 100% viewfinder, faster autofocus, colour matrix metering and mirror lock-up.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Suzanne This certainly sounds right. I just hadn't associated a camera with a footprint. Might explain why at a wedding a couple of years ago the pro used a F100 without the additional battery box underneath to avoid the intimidation that the F5 might produce.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    This option does not really exist anymore but silver cameras were always less obtrusive than all black ones; the black ones are like having a bright red wart in the middle of the forehead.

The F4 can have the motor drive removed also.

Bobby

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyR View Post
    This option does not really exist anymore but silver cameras were always less obtrusive than all black ones; the black ones are like having a bright red wart in the middle of the forehead.

The F4 can have the motor drive removed also.

Bobby
    Actually, I believe it is the exact opposite. The silver colored bodies stand out much more than the black bodies. The black bodies are less noticeable in low light conditions, silver bodies can be seen from far away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin