Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,053   Online: 904

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon F100 or F5?

Looking for a nice AF Nikon body to compliment my d*****l stuff. Size and weight are of no concern as I would likely get the external winder for the F100 anway (I like the vertical release). I have heard the F5 is a battery killer, but I rarely would shoot more than two or three rolls in a day so that does not matter.

I think I am pretty much sold on getting an F5, but is it worth the extra money? In similar condition the F5 is fetching about $200 more than a nice F100.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't used an F5, but I love my F100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F5 is not that horrible on batteries, especially if you use lithiums. It does use more battery power than the F100 does, but I haven't found the consumption to be excessive.

I have both cameras. I got the F100 new. I love the camera. The ability to take off the MB-15 is nice when size and weight is an issue.

The F5 handles just as nicely. All the controls are in the same place, which makes moving back and forth between the cameras really simple. The autofocus is slightly better, but not dramatically so. The motor drive is much faster, but that's not always significant.

One thing I like about the F100 over the F5 is the viewfinder. When you manually select a focus point on the F100, it turns red and is quite easy to see. On the F5, if you have the right focusing screen the point turns dark grey, which is fairly easy to see in the daylight but in darker conditions is not so easy. There are also arrows that point to the sensor from the side of the frame, but I don't find them to be all that intuitive.

I like my F5 better than my F100... but the F100 is not bad. What will your second Nikon be? (Every film Nikon shooter should have at least a pair of bodies, I think. Different films, different lenses...). If you are short on money, buying a pair of F100s might serve you better than having a single F5. If you already have a nice Nikon body, then the F5 might just be perfect.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Petez8
    The accessory grip is not a winder. It's makes the f100 balance better.

There were only five differences in the two.

1.color matrix metering(F5) vs B&W(F100)
    2.100% viewfinder(F5)
    3.Interchangeable prisms/finders(F5)
    4.faster advance(F5)
    5.mirror lockup(F5)

That's about all the difference there is as far as features go When I was peddling these things new it was about $1000 difference in price. Now it's $200 no big deal, get one of each.

I personally preferred the F100 for the size & weight advantage. I'm thinking the addition of the battery pack speed up the advance on the F100 a tad bit also but it's been too long.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies.

Sorry to say, this WILL be my 2nd Nikon body. I still shoot mostly di***** and will continue to do so. I just have very little time for shooting lately and the workflow for electronic forums is much faster and cheaper. Darkroom time and film processing is just too time consuming to do all of the time. I very much enjoy it when I can. When I really want to slow down I'm in the process of putting together a 4x5". The 35mm will fill the gap between them.

I currently am shooting film on the infamous Pentax K1000, but since I am shooting Nikon AF in that "other" format, I figure it only makes sense to buy a body that will be useable with my lens investments for that. The F100 and F5 both seem to have similar handling to my D200, which is a nice feature.

Thanks again for your replies, and it is good to get a subjective comparison from someone who owns both. I think the F100 is starting to look like the better choice

Shooter
    Medium Format
    John, we posted at the same time. Do you find the color matrix metering to be more accurate? Framerate is not a huge issue to me for film.

I had forgotton about the lack of a mirror lockup, but I'm not sure it's worth $200 alone.

Shooter
    35mm
    A bit off topic, but I was wondering, how does the F6 compare to the F5?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    Im thinking the addition of the battery pack speed up the advance on the F100 a tad bit also but it's been too long.
    You remember correctly.

F100 - 4.5 fps
    F100 + MB-15 - 5.0 fps
    F5 - 7.3 fps
    F5 with Nikon NiMH battery pack (not NiMH AAs) - 8 fps
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Looking for a nice AF Nikon body to compliment my d*****l stuff. Size and weight are of no concern as I would likely get the external winder for the F100 anway (I like the vertical release). I have heard the F5 is a battery killer, but I rarely would shoot more than two or three rolls in a day so that does not matter.

I think I am pretty much sold on getting an F5, but is it worth the extra money? In similar condition the F5 is fetching about $200 more than a nice F100.
    Okay let me just vent a bit here

Every now and somebody posts a question: should I buy this, or should I buy that?

And we don't know what that person shoots, how they shoot or what they value most in a body. Or what their kit budget is. These are things that obviously should go into a decision (and into our advice too!)

Both are fine cameras, and the right one for you will depend on many things. Note too that neither option is exclusive of the other- quite a few folks have both. They are simply quite different bodies, and the pros/cons of their feature sets were discussed ad nauseum on various sites. You ultimately have to decide for yourself what you need... or get both and try 'em out!

RE: MLU, I thought I'd miss it on the F100 but I do not. That thing has a superdamped mirror or something, I have gotten plenty of acceptable shots well below 1/60. Almost no slap.

OverlordXenu, the F6 very similar to the D200 body, if you are familiar with that.
    Last edited by keithwms; 04-22-2008 at 10:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I owned two F5 cameras. When the F100 came out, I bought 3. These cameras are different tools. Ultimately I sold the F5's because I wasn't using their high end abilities. The F100's suited my client's needs, and my back much better.

If you need to shoot a lot of sports action. Get the F5 camera. If you need a smaller footprint in front of your subject, or just don't need the weight around your neck and shoulders, get the F100.

If I had the money, though, I'd also get rid of my F100's and buy two F6 bodies. Unfortunately all my clients want digital, so for them I use the D300, and have no money to spend on my preferred F6 choice.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin