Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,668   Online: 1142

Shooter
    Medium Format

FM2 focus off slightly

I have a Nikon FM2 and I find the focus is slightly off at big apertures. For example, with my 105mm lens, at F2.5 I find even if the image looks perfectly focused with the split prism, on film it looks a bit out of focus.

I've tried this lens on my Canon 5d with an adapter, and it is sharp sharp sharp if focused correctly (the adapter has a focus confirmation, otherwise its impossible to manually focus!), so its not a lens problem.

Is it possible that the mirror in the FM2 is slightly off? If so, can it be adjusted? Or is it more likely that the problem is that I suck at manually focusing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.
    1) Check to see if the focusing screen is properly installed.
    2) Check the mirror by simply looking at the edges of the mirror, there should be two small clips near the bottom of the mirror, one on each side. If these are out of position, Use around toothpick & move it to the side & the mirror should drop into position.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin