Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,788   Online: 1028

Shooter
    35mm

Canon F1 and 580ex

Hi all,

This is my first post on this great forum. I need some advice on using a flash with the old Canon F1. It doesn't have to be the 580ex but something someone knows is compatible and "trustworthy" on exposures. i used to use the metz 45CT1 many years ago but figure that there must be something a little more user friendly. Any suggestions and advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F-1 will only work with a 580EX in manual-flash-exposure mode.

The wireless will work too, but only in manual. So why pay $3-400?

Buy a Vivitar, Sunpak, or a used Nikon SB for cheap. The F1 isn't particularly sensitive to flash voltages, scrounge garage sales and pawn shops and the Salvation Army.

Or splurge & buy one of Frank Chen's Aikiphoto units off ebay. Heck, buy three.
    Last edited by bjorke; 04-30-2008 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Bjorke, i already own the 580ex so I guess I will have to work on the distance/metering manual flash. Many thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    You may want to look into the Canon 299T Flash. This flash is designed for the older Canon cameras, and works very well. You don't have to think too hard to get great results, as you can use the program mode for flash. Additionally, you can choose from a number of different F-stops in the F. No. Set mode. There is also full manual and 1/16 power manual flash for additional uses.

The flash head zooms manually from 28-35-85, and you have full bounce and can be swung 90 right or 180 to the left. You also can use Slow sinc flash with your F-1 camera.

Overall this is a nice reliable flash that will work well with your F-1. They can be found for around 50-75 bucks used. I've used one for a number of years, and I've been very happy with the results.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks Jeff. I will look one up.

Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 580EX II is the way to go for someone who uses current E-TTL kit and also wants to use the flash on a F1. The 299T is a better choice for T-series bodies like the T90 where you get some automation, but the F-1 and F-1n have no flash automation (the New F1 has some automation, supporting the A series flashes and possibly the T series). The 580EX II offers Auto flash unlike the 580EX, which is a major boon on older bodies without TTL support.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin