Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 756

Shooter
    Medium Format

Zenit PhotoSnaiper

I was so excited the day my Zenit PhotoSnaiper came in the mail, that I couldn't even talk. But then disappointment set in when I realised that the entire users manual is in Russian (which I should have guessed, since it was /imported from Russia/).

Whatever, I'm not saying I'm not an idiot. Actually, it's because I'm an idiot that I'm here.

I can't figure out how to get my lens (Tair-3S) off. Yes, go ahead, laugh.

I know there's a pin that's supposed to be realeased, but I have no idea what to hit to release it...

And I've read about five different Zenit 122s and 122 manuals. I'm stuck. Halp?

Danke

EDIT//
    It appears that the only way to remove the lens is by sheer brute force, and I have succeeded! But my thighs are killing me now... Don't ask.
    -M
    Last edited by megzie; 05-04-2008 at 05:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No, there is no pin. At least not on my old one, which is about twenty years old. But that fella is really on tight. Undo the rifle stock, of course. Then you are going to have to unscrew the lens by putting a pair of big, well padded adjustable grip pipe pliers on the lens mount--not the lens barrel--it to get it started.
    Once that is done, it is a snap and you should have no further trouble, although a little WD-40 on the end of your finger and applied to the mount certainly can't hurt. BTW, although the whole thing is a heavy, inconvenient clunker, it is built like a Stalin tank and the lens (which is easy to focus once you get the hang of it) is very sharp.

Let me know if you need additional info. Email at JayKhill@aol.com
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to have this lens. That was many years ago, so I can't remember much. However, if you scan the manual to PDF and post it on the web (or email it to me), I can try to help you translate the relevant parts.
    aparat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    No, there is no pin. At least not on my old one, which is about twenty years old. But that fella is really on tight. Undo the rifle stock, of course. Then you are going to have to unscrew the lens by putting a pair of big, well padded adjustable grip pipe pliers on the lens mount--not the lens barrel--it to get it started.
    Once that is done, it is a snap and you should have no further trouble, although a little WD-40 on the end of your finger and applied to the mount certainly can't hurt. BTW, although the whole thing is a heavy, inconvenient clunker, it is built like a Stalin tank and the lens (which is easy to focus once you get the hang of it) is very sharp.

Let me know if you need additional info. Email at JayKhill@aol.com
    Thanks! I got it! But instead of pliers, which would have been the easy way, I braced the camera with my thighs... Stupid, I know. The pain... :[

But seriously, thanks a lot :]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aparat View Post
    I used to have this lens. That was many years ago, so I can't remember much. However, if you scan the manual to PDF and post it on the web (or email it to me), I can try to help you translate the relevant parts.
    aparat
    Thanks so much for the offer, but I finally got it! Yay!

If I run into any more problems, I might hit you up on the translation help :]

Thanks again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one, and I think the barrel of the lens is made from left over cast iron sewer pipe.It could probably be turned into a mortar of some sort, if one were so inclined.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=megzie;626044]Thanks! I got it! But instead of pliers, which would have been the easy way, I braced the camera with my thighs... Stupid, I know. The pain... :[
    Let me tell you what a solid beast you have. Some years back, I was entering Wrigley Field, Chicago, for my baseball pilgramage to that hallowed site. I had my photosniper--without shoulder stock--in a partially zipped up rucksack. It dropped out, fell at least four feet, onto a concrete floor. It landed on the top body cover, as the front of the film advance. When I finally got to my seat, after cleansing the tears (vbg) I thought I would FORCE the film advance, since I may never get back to Wrigley Field--and, so what the heck.
    With some effort, the film advance functioned. I shot my film. It was perfect. When I returned home, I took it to my repair man, who bad-mouthed my Zenit. I told him it had functioned after what had happened. He pulled it apart, straighted a bent shaft on the film advance--apologized for not being able to get the frame counter working; but also said that the camera was now otherwise completely functional. It has been that way for, perhaps, ten years now. Try that with anything else. And, as I said, the lens is suprisingly sharp.
    Good shooting--but don't take it to sensitive political gatherings with it on the shoulder stock. You might be set upon by the forces of law, order, motherhood and the flag.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, you might be interested in the Yahoo Zenit Camera Group. Compared to APUG, it's low volume (typically one or two dozen messages a day). It includes a files area with manuals, battery information, etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin