Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,492   Posts: 1,542,971   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

University of Calgary seeks film camera donations for art students

This was posted on RFF and I thought I'd share this in case anyone's got some old gear kicking around no longer needed.

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...0-c9af1cf8024f

The University of Calgary's Art Department contact info:
    http://www.ucalgary.ca/art/contact/
    Derrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Derrick...
    I'm trying to get some cameras for some of the youth I work with at the shelter here in Edmonton. If I get some extra ones I'll send them your way. Let me know what you're looking for.
    ...Jordan.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    "Accessibility is critical for new students who need to use a film camera but cannot afford one," department head Arthur Nishimura says, "and the department currently only has three cameras to lend to (20) students. They take turns borrowing them, which, needless to say, is not the ideal situation for our students."
    Hehe, if those students were even slightly more enterprising they could find all manner of interesting film cameras on ebay and local classified ads for like $5. Still I hope they get some donations - I didn't know U of C was still teaching silver photography.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Hehe, if those students were even slightly more enterprising
    Really, if ones spends more than $50 on a Spotmatic, or a Minolta SRT, one has paid too much. I wonder how many of these poor students are buying Starbucks?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tell them to use their Ralphbucks to get one!

Geez, isn't this the richest province in Canada? Seems universities there shouldn't have to go cap in hand asking for donations for something so small.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Really, if ones spends more than $50 on a Spotmatic, or a Minolta SRT, one has paid too much. I wonder how many of these poor students are buying Starbucks?
    Hey, I know what it's like to be a poor student, and even then $20-$50 for a manual 35mm camera is nothing... now if you had to buy it near the end of the semester when the loan money was running dry and you'd been living off $500 a month salary and paying $700 in rent, that'd be a different story.. but when the student loan funds are fresh in the bank account - well, let's just say there's a reason all the vendors set up booths in the student center in September and October.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Tell them to use their Ralphbucks to get one!

Geez, isn't this the richest province in Canada? Seems universities there shouldn't have to go cap in hand asking for donations for something so small.
    Something's kinda screwy with finances in this province though. Infrastructure and health care has been kind of falling apart, universities (allegedly) poorly funded - I mean tuition has doubled in the last half decade.

I think it may eventually emerge that there has been some massive (multi)billion dollar fraud going on in the government, or between government and big industry or certain individuals, but that's just a hunch, and it will be up to other people to uncover it eventually.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Good point, Walter -- notice I said "universities" not "students". Most prosperous and thriving societies realize they have to have a healthy arts sector in order to really progress, but that's another discussion for another thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

film still being taught

The good news is that the University of Calgary is still interested in teaching film photography.

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I think it may eventually emerge that there has been some massive (multi)billion dollar fraud going on in the government, or between government and big industry or certain individuals, but that's just a hunch, and it will be up to other people to uncover it eventually.
    The big problem is that most of our money is being sucked down into the US and doesn't do our economy one bit of good. Maybe we should be like Venezuela and provincialize the oil industry. Cut the feds out too.

I agree with Martin that at least they are exposing their students to film and recognize it's a different medium than digital.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin