Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,576   Online: 874

Shooter
    35mm

Dreadful pun (camera......)

Hello, everybody:

Yesterday I picked up a Nikon Nikkormat with a 55 mm f/3.5 micro lens included. This is the first time I've ever run across the Nikon lenses that have all of the controls for the lens on the lens; you know, the aperture and the shutter speed are two rings on the lens that you use to set, well, the aperture and the shutter speed. Anyway, I looked at all of the manual input that the camera needs to work, and I thought, "HOLY COW! With all of the manual inputs, I have a real DIGITAL camera! I use my digits to load and advance the film, set the aperture, set the shutter speed, release the shutter, and remove the film." When I told my sister-in lawof my discovery, she rolled her eyes, and said, "Yeah..." My daughter says that I need new material. But I think I'm really on something....

BTW, what would be the odds that the light meter would still function after a good CLA?

With best regards.

Steve Mack

"You may depend upon it, Sir. When a man knows he's to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully."

Samuel Johnson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW, what would be the odds that the light meter would still function after a good CLA?
    It might not function after a bad CLA, but I see no reason to think it wouldn't function after a good CLA.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Steve Mack;627745]Hello, everybody:

to work, and I thought, "HOLY COW! With all of the manual inputs, I have a real DIGITAL camera!
    "A man who would utter so vile a pun would not scruple to pick a pocket or cut a purse." Not Dr. Johnson
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    Hello, everybody:

Yesterday I picked up a Nikon Nikkormat with a 55 mm f/3.5 micro lens included. This is the first time I've ever run across the Nikon lenses that have all of the controls for the lens on the lens; you know, the aperture and the shutter speed are two rings on the lens that you use to set, well, the aperture and the shutter speed.
    Not to pick nits, but the shutter ring is on the camera body, concentric with the lens mount, not on the lens per se. If you take the lens off the camera body, it won't have a shutter speed dial on it.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes like others have mentioned, the shutter speeds are on the body not round the lens mount.
    The Nikkormat has a copal shutter, that to me is the best sounding shutter on any Nikon- just listen at 1/15 I like it better than my F2.
    The light meter is the least reliable thing on these models, mine is dead and I have no plans to CLA, I have been told the variable resistor gets crudded up and sometimes a few twists can revive the meter.
    If you have the meter done get them to do the light seals and the foam for mirror sound dampening.
    Great camera,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Olympus OM-1 has the same control set up. I find it much more ergonomic than the usual speed dial on top.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, as puns go yours was pretty week. Keep on practicing.

More seriously, the Nikkormat's shutter speed control is not on the lens, it is on the body and concentric with the lens mount. This makes for a very fast-working camera. I now shoot an FM2n and an N8008S (replaced an FG), still miss the Nik'mat's greater ease of use. Andy, I agree with you completely.

Shooter
    35mm
    Before you send it out for a CLA put a battery in it and see if the meter works. A CLA on that model may not include meter repair. Also, the current battery may not be the correct voltage. The correct voltage, I believe, is 1.35 & the current replacement batteries are 1.5v. If all that camera needs is new seals that can be installed at home (interslice). Again, I may be wrong, but I have not heard much about the shutters of the Nikon/Nikkormats being off.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can use zinc air batteries for the old Nikkormat models that took the mercury cells. The zinc air branded ones are really expensive though. So I use a 625 hearing aid battery with a rubber O-ring to adjust the diameter to fit the battery compartment. And a small piece of aluminum foil to make a good contact. Works like a charm and I get about 3 batteries for the price of one of the Zinc Air brand ones. Also I have 2 Nikkormat cameras and both of the meters work but they have to be adjusted with the ISO dial to meter right. One is about a stop off and the other is almost 2. I just get them to match my meters that I know are right and then just adjust. Plus I wouldn't dream of shooting chrome with them, just negative film for the latitude.
    "There is something about the mystery
    of what is on a roll of film that keeps
    me shooting, none of that digital
    instant gratification for me."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Steve, as puns go yours was pretty week. Keep on practicing.
    Yes Dan, he was just trying to PUNish us.

But then good corn grows in a healthy groan.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin