Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,435   Online: 1062

Im a total newbie and have been reading up and practicing alot recently.

I have a question about short lenses and wide angles. It occurs to me that a short lense (say 20 or 28mm) would have a wide angle effect when compared to a longer lense that has a narrower field of view.

If this is so, are lenses advertised as wide angle lenses costing more because they allow longer lenses to have a wider field of view? Or is it that I am getting a wide field of view (due to shortness of lense) mixed up with a wide angle lense ?

Olly

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The "Wide Angle" *is* the angle of the field of view. A shorter focal length lens will cover a wider field of "view". A lens of greater focal length will necessariy cover a smaller area, given the same film size - only a matter of simple geometry.

The cost of a lens is far more closely connected to the design ... at the exteremes of focal length, the design problems become more difficult which translates to "more money".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

So an advertised 20mm lense would be the same as a 20mm lense advertised as a "wide angle" lense ?

I only ask because im looking at getting one and theres seem to be massive cost differences between lenses that dont seem too dissimilar.

Olly

Check things like speed. A faster lens is harder to make well then a slower lens. You'll also see difference in price between the lenses made by the camera makers and those made by third parties.

But any lens shorter then a normal lens [say 43mm ] is wide.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin