Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,235   Online: 1186

i know that people recommend a circular polariser as it works with auto focus cameras, but i have just accidentally purchased a linear one on ebay

I'm assuming that i can still use it, but i will have to use the camera in manual focus mode.

Is this correct ?

Olly

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another issue is that cameras with beamsplitter metering systems also require a circular polarizer, so you may have metering problems as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 0llym
    i know that people recommend a circular polariser as it works with auto focus cameras, but i have just accidentally purchased a linear one on ebay
    I'm assuming that i can still use it, but i will have to use the camera in manual focus mode.
    Is this correct ?
    Olly
    Yes. The "autofocusing" depends on the difference in phase of two beams of polarized light. In a "linear' filter light is polarized ... once, and that is it... It removes a certain part of the light (filters can only remove) and the passed light stays polarized - and confused as to phase. In a "circular" polarizer there is another element... a "scrambler" plate to again "depolarize" the remaining light after the unwanted part is removed ... and the focusing sensors again have something closely related to light with the original polarization. Manual focusing does not depend on phase shifting - so everything should work OK.

Now - exposure. Hmm ... I *don't* think exposure itself should be affected. I've metered a LOT with the built-in OM-4 Olympus using both circular (I picked one up in a "Dump Them" bin -wrong size - but wonderful with an adapter) and the Cokin and Tiffen "Linear Polarizers", and I've never noticed an exposure problem.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an EOS30 and have use dboth linear and circular polarisers without a problem. Maybe I was just lucky.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin