Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,041   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bag suggestions

Shooter
    35mm

Bag suggestions

Hi All,

I have a trip coming up and I'm looking for a bag recommendation. I'd like a shoulder bag and here's what I have to get in it:

Leica M6 with lens mounted
    Nikon D40 with 18-55 mounted
    Nikon N80 with 50/1.8 mounted
    Nikon 70-300VR
    Nikon 24-85G
    Nikon SB-600
    Charger for D40
    10 Rolls of Film

I've been looking online till me head spins so any guidance in appreciated.

Take care,

Jim

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Is this for carrying around every day? Or just for transport? Lowepro has its Reporter series. They zip open across the top, so you don't have to unlatch the flap.

I have the S&F Reporter 200AW. It currently is holding an Olympus OM-2 with winder attached, a spare OM-2 body, flash, 75-150 zoom and a 28mm wide angle. There enough room for maybe 10 rolls of unboxed film (just in the cannisters).

I think there is a larger 400 bag, but this bag is about as much as I would want hanging from my shoulder.

Get a high quality bag. If you're going to spend thousands on camera gear, you should spend a couple hundred more to protect it -- that's always been my feeling on camera bags.

I like the Lowepro, Tamrac and Tenba bags. My Tenba bags are from the '80s, and my other bags are either Lowepro or Tamrac.
    Last edited by elekm; 06-07-2008 at 03:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I forgot mention that it's for transport mostly. The gear I need for the day will be put in a smaller bag or put over a shoulder.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it is for simple transport in your own vehicle, just get a large soft sided cooler with lens wraps from Calumet or f64.

If you want dividers, I think that your gear would fit into a large sized fishing reel bag from Cabelas which is padded and has partitions. Orvis and Fishpond have nice reel bags too but they cost a lot more for about the same thing. Along those lines, Simms and Patagonia make (expensive) waterproof shoulder bags for tackle or other gear made out of rubberized material.

If you mean heavy duty transport, get a large photobackpack because you have some heavy gear. Or for really heavy duty transport (i.e. dust and rain) get the appropriate sized Pelican case.

Large camera bags are often expensive and overkill for car transport. I would spend the money one the bag that really goes on your shoulder.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Make sure it's a bigger bag than you need 'cause we all know you're just gonna buy more stuff to put in it anyway, right?
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a huge big peli case to transport my gear about in, with the pull out foam. Its invincible almost

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I use a huge big peli case to transport my gear about in, with the pull out foam. Its invincible almost"

My first post here, hope I'm doing it right. I'm travelling to South Africa soon and have too much gear to carry on, is it viable to transport stuff in a Pelican case in the hold? Will lenses and Pentax 67 hold up?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jmooney; I have a Lowepro stealth reporter D650AW, which I believe is the biggest one they do. I manage to fit 2 full size bodies, 1 smaller body, 70-200mm f/2.8, 17-40 f/4 or similar, 50mm, 105mm macro, 2 flashguns, wireless flash trigger and flash brackets, lens hoods, a healthy supply of film and memory cards, several full sets of spare batteries, time lapse cable release, lens cloths and a fair assortment of gadgetry like a torch and so on. On top of that it somehow also manages to have room for at least another lens or two, plus a big laptop and a fair few documents.
    It's a great bag, but you do need to resemble a pack horse to carry that lot though

blue_iguana; Peli cases will take a real beating and come back for more. A pentax 67 should be fine in one, so long as there's enough foam around it.
    Don't separate items with only one layer of foam, leave at least 2 blocks between them, more if there's room.
    The only downside is that they're rather heavy to carry for any distance. I am currently borrowing an RB67 that's housed in one, and it feels pretty heavy pretty quickly.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    I forgot mention that it's for transport mostly. The gear I need for the day will be put in a smaller bag or put over a shoulder.
    I'd get one of the Lowepro backpacks for transport then work out of it with your smaller shoulder bag. It would be easier to haul the backpack around with that much gear than trying to use a shoulder bag.
    "If your pictures aren't good enough,
    you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin