Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,948   Online: 1237

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I take my camera bag inside when I am going to be there for a while. If I'm just running in and out I'll leave it. But extreme heat will affect the film and make processing problematic.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Film is happy in any temperature that you are happy in. Any air temperature that you can tolerate is going to be OK for short term storage of film. People were shooting world-renowned award winning images long before air conditioning. Film does not travel in chilled storage from factory to distributor, and from distributor to retailer...it just goes by regular truck or parcel delivery. No problems. Keep your bricks of film in the fridge, but the dozen or so rolls you might use (of all different types) in a few days shooting (or a 2 week vacation) are just fine in your camera bag.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Film is happy in any temperature that you are happy in. Any air temperature that you can tolerate is going to be OK for short term storage of film. People were shooting world-renowned award winning images long before air conditioning. Film does not travel in chilled storage from factory to distributor, and from distributor to retailer...it just goes by regular truck or parcel delivery. No problems. Keep your bricks of film in the fridge, but the dozen or so rolls you might use (of all different types) in a few days shooting (or a 2 week vacation) are just fine in your camera bag.
    That makes sense, but the temperatures inside the car during a Texas summer can easily reach 120 degrees (or more, probably). I don't shoot professionally right now and it may take me a while to get through all the film in my bag, because I try to put a lot of thought into every shot. (Time to start using sheet film.) I like to have the variety of film with me, though, so I think some sort of cold storage may be good for me.

But I love hearing everyone's suggestions.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Film does not travel in chilled storage from factory to distributor, and from distributor to retailer...it just goes by regular truck or parcel delivery. .
    Indeed, in the retailers it just sits on the shelf at whatever temperature for however long. Just use the stuff quickly enough that it doesn't have time to suffer!

Steve

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by kodachrome64 View Post
    That makes sense, but the temperatures inside the car during a Texas summer can easily reach 120 degrees (or more, probably). I don't shoot professionally right now and it may take me a while to get through all the film in my bag, because I try to put a lot of thought into every shot. (Time to start using sheet film.) I like to have the variety of film with me, though, so I think some sort of cold storage may be good for me.

But I love hearing everyone's suggestions.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Nick, the heat will ruin your color film. I've been shown heat damaged film by friends who traveled in your area during the summer months (vacations).

I use a small insulated lunch type pouch with a zipper closure, insulated with 'Thinsulate'. It can also keep meat frozen for most of the day. If they make one with a silver reflective material, I would go for one of those. Avoid the color black which would absorb more heat. That's my best suggestion.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the stores I used to work in, Kodak shipments were delivered by Thermo-King transport company trucks, specializing in refrigerated transport. We had a walk in cooler in the basement at one store and glass door refrigerators on the selling floor for professional materials and color papers. At smaller stores we had a standard household refrigerator/freezer for professional films and papers.

The stores I shop in now all have their pro materials and color papers in cold storage. Consumer films are designed and released to be stored at room temps, pro films are expected to be cold stored.

Sitting in your car all day in Dallas in the summer with the windows closed can kill you. It can also heat damage your film, consumer or professional. Why would you take any care with taking photographs and then be careless about storing the film when it's cheap and easy to treat it properly? A nice cooler costs 2 rolls of film. A cheap styrofoam cooler is cheaper than a single roll of cheap film.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format

I should worry ?

Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I have solved all of the problems mentioned above at a stroke. I live in the U.K.

pentaxuser
    If only, I don't know about you in Daventry , but speaking for myself I wish it was hot enough in the U.K to worry about film overheating, today more than half way through June I'm sitting at my computer in my study, having to wear a fleece to keep warm without putting the heating on, there was a period one July a couple of years ago when it was about 90 degrees all month, but these incidences are rare in this country.
    If it ever gets warm again as has been said you can keep your film in an insulated box with ice packs, or small fridges that fit in the boot (trunk) of a car and run off the car battery are available from caravan shops
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm

Keep that film cool!

I keep mine in a small insulated lunch bag, and I place an ice pack on top.

It would be a good idea to package your film for the conditions. If memory serves, if a film can has not been opened, you can refreeze the film. If it has, refrigeration is recommended.

I make up packages of film which have five rolls (in their original cans) in a plastic milk bag. The bag I am referring to is the one that the milk has actually been packaged in. For the benefit of our readers in the United States, milk in Canada is sold in 4-litre bags. There is one of those annoying little plastic clips on the top, and inside are three 1.333-litre bags of milk. If you do the math, 1.333-litres equals (approximately) 45-US ounces. After drinking the milk, I wash and dry the bags; they have a variety of uses around our house, and get used and reused many, many times before they are finally tossed into the trash bin. No, the local recycling people won't accept them. For example, a half-sandwich fits neatly inside one of these bags (my wife me makes MONSTER sandwiches).

These bags are sealed with a vacuum sealer we have for freezing food (another use for the milk bags), and I place a making tape label, indicating type of film, et cetera. They are waterproof, and if the bag has condensation forming on it when it is removed from the lunch bag, it won't get on the film or the film can.

Check out this link; pay careful attention to the alleged spelling on the subject line: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Here's another: http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lowepro used to make a couple pouches that I use all the time on the road and even in the studio.
    One of them had a closure with a metallic leaf which snapped open and close really fast and the second had a sort of an cloth aperture iris where the film fit inside the hole by pushing it in, which kept the ones inside in total darkness while being always open.
    I think they must have stopped making them.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format

Aiming Point

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Indeed, in the retailers it just sits on the shelf at whatever temperature for however long. Just use the stuff quickly enough that it doesn't have time to suffer!

Steve
    Having worked in photographic dealers for years, you're right Steve, they rotate their stock making sure that the oldest expiry dates are sold first ,so it's best to check the dates on any film you buy before leaving the shop.
    Aiming Points -Amateur films are not "ripe" when they leave the manufacturers and are intended to be on the dealers shelf for about three months before sale .
    Professional films are at aiming point before they leave the factory and should be kept refrigerated before sale, most pro. dealers do that, very few amateur ones do even the big ones, I think purely out of ignorance, I more than doubled the sale of pro films in one of the shops I managed by installing a second hand ice cream fridge, and putting up a sign that said " Our professional films are fridge fresh ", scoring points from the country's biggest retailer who had a shop round the corner, and sold them off the shelf.
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin