Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,903   Online: 920

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Amateur films are not "ripe" when they leave the manufacturers and are intended to be on the dealers shelf for about three months before sale.
    Photo Engineer, whose word on such matters I consider very authoritative, has denied this claim several times. A quick search turned up this post, for example:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...tml#post559845

More generally to the topic at hand, if the temperature in the car is too high, why not simply remove the film from the car? That seems like less hassle than dealing with ice bags or refrigerated underwear! This presumes, of course, that you've got a car with air conditioning. If you've got an un-air-conditioned car in Texas, then you have my sympathies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    More generally to the topic at hand, if the temperature in the car is too high, why not simply remove the film from the car? That seems like less hassle than dealing with ice bags or refrigerated underwear! This presumes, of course, that you've got a car with air conditioning. If you've got an un-air-conditioned car in Texas, then you have my sympathies.
    Rest assured, I have air conditioning! (Even though it takes MORE than the ride home for the car to cool off!)

I do bring the film with me inside sometimes, but I "operate" out of my vehicle and it would almost be easier to switch out a freeze-pack every day than to drag my film around with me every time I park the car. The internal temperature of the car reaches hazardous levels in just a few minutes in sunlight around here. When I go into work, it's not that big of a deal to bring the film in with me. But I go to a few other places where it wouldn't be practical.

The testicle A/C has been the best suggestion so far I think.

Thank you all!
    Nick
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    I see -- so it's a short hop, let the car sit, another short hop, etc.? In that case, it's conceivable that an in-car fridge would be helpful. I vaguely recall hearing of such things, intended for vacation roadtrips and whatnot to refrigerate a couple cans of soda. You might try doing a Web search. Actually, I just tried and got a few hits: one, two, three. They're pricier than I'd care to spend, and I don't know how they'd handle the on-and-off cycles to which you'd presumably subject them, but they might be a viable option for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Phototone has it right:

Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Film is happy in any temperature that you are happy in.
    Cheap Styrofoam coolers from Walmart in the trunk/back of car - out of the sun - has worked well for me. Working well has included a 5 week driving trip out West - including over 2 weeks of driving between West Texas and the Mohave desert in late July. Big Bend N.P. is quite a toasty place! I carried many dozens of exposed and unexposed rolls of ISO 400 film for the entire 5 weeks, keeping a day or two's worth of film out of the cooler.

Even with the car baking in the midday sun for a few hours.. the interior of the cooler was very reasonable - it might have gotten into the 70's, but no worse. Developing the film and printing the negatives? I see nothing that suggests any fogging, either due to heat or the airplane flights.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon King View Post
    Phototone has it right:

Cheap Styrofoam coolers from Walmart in the trunk/back of car - out of the sun - has worked well for me. Working well has included a 5 week driving trip out West - including over 2 weeks of driving between West Texas and the Mohave desert in late July. Big Bend N.P. is quite a toasty place! I carried many dozens of exposed and unexposed rolls of ISO 400 film for the entire 5 weeks, keeping a day or two's worth of film out of the cooler.

Even with the car baking in the midday sun for a few hours.. the interior of the cooler was very reasonable - it might have gotten into the 70's, but no worse. Developing the film and printing the negatives? I see nothing that suggests any fogging, either due to heat or the airplane flights.
    Hmmm...I'll have to see what kind of temperatures can be maintained in an insulated container even without a source of refrigeration. If it stayed in the 70s I would be OK with that.

Thanks,
    Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you'd be fine with a cooler in the back seat. Use freezable gel-packs so you won't have to worry about ice water. Another thing you can do is get a space blanket or two, they are small tarps that have a reflective side and a colored side.

-Tim

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I know that they sell regrigerated underwear (for men, sorry ladies!) to help infertile men keep their testicles cool to maximize sperm production. Perhaps you could buy a pair and keep film in it. Then simply keep the camera in the car and when something interesting strikes your fancy, whip it out.
    You are joking, right?

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    Multi Format

Assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid View Post
    You are joking, right?

Kiron Kid
    I've heard of frozen assets, but didn't realize that's what it meant.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I ever needed that sort of help, I think I'd resort to loose fitting boxers and baggy trousers.

Though I hear the performers at Disney, who wear the Micky Mouse/ Goofy/Pluto suits have something similar to stop them keeling over on a crowd of young kids in the Florida Sunshine
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well all I can say is that I have been shooting pictures (all formats) for over 40 years, and professionally for over 32 years, and I have never felt the need to take special measures to keep my film cool when traveling. Yes, a closed, parked automobile in the summer can get quite hot in the passenger compartment due to the heat gain thru the windows. Hint: Leave a window down a tiny crack helps prevent excessive heat build up. The trunk (boot..in UK) is a better place for surplus film. You do what you like, but carrying a dozen or 2 rolls of color and b/w film around should not be a problem for anyone. Like I said, film is comfortable for reasonable lengths of time (weeks) at any temperature you can tolerate. Long term storage is another matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin