Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,085   Online: 1101

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Carrying around your film

I am relatively new to this and have quite a few films that I like to have with me at all times. I carry my camera with me in the car everywhere and likewise it makes sense to have the film with me. If I want to use a different film for the given situation, I simply do a manual mid-roll rewind and put another roll in.

The problem is that it's quite hot and I know film does not like the heat. Surely there must be others who carry their film around with them...how do you protect it from heat while in the car? Do you bring it in with you everywhere?

Thanks,
    Nick

P.S. I tried to search but am finding the search function on this site very useless for some reason. I know how to search but I swear it pulls up the same stuff no matter what I search for.
    Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah.
    -Paul Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When it really hot, like today-112, I keep film in a cooler around 80 degrees, a little ice in baggy in a baggy, not too cold and you might get condensation. I also keep a roll or 2 in my camera bag, on the camera strap, which I carry with me when I am out shooting. But I also keep a camera in my trunk or the back of my SUV and a roll of film in my pocket just in case.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Film-Stor boxes from Porter's - http://tinyurl.com/3wnax8

Six rolls to a box and it fits in your back pocket. Not perfect but they get the job done.

fwiw, Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I keep a number of rolls or holders in the camera bag if I'm carrying one, and a roll or two in a pocket if I'm not carrying a bag. On a day out shooting I also take along a cooler for the car. If it's going to be hot, I'll use one of those freezable plastic water bottles that screws into the cooler lid or use plastic drink bottles with frozen water in them. I also use coolers (eskies) that my camera bags fit into when travelling, but no ice in those. I put film in plastic zip lock bags when in the same cooler with frozen water.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    I know that they sell regrigerated underwear (for men, sorry ladies!) to help infertile men keep their testicles cool to maximize sperm production. Perhaps you could buy a pair and keep film in it. Then simply keep the camera in the car and when something interesting strikes your fancy, whip it out.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    I know that they sell regrigerated underwear (for men, sorry ladies!) to help infertile men keep their testicles cool to maximize sperm production. Perhaps you could buy a pair and keep film in it. Then simply keep the camera in the car and when something interesting strikes your fancy, whip it out.
    Great suggestion! ;-)

I think refrigeration is probably the way to go, and I may combine the film box idea with the cooler idea and just change the ice pack/water bottle out every day.

Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
    Nick

Shooter
    35mm
    I have solved all of the problems mentioned above at a stroke. I live in the U.K.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format

Round The Horne

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    when something interesting strikes your fancy, whip it out.
    Oh blimey. Reminds me of Kenneth Horne's broadcast on BBC radio from the 60s often repeated on BBC Radio 7 on the internet. "I am all for censorship. If ever I see a double entendre, I whip it out!"

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i don't store any of my film anyplace special.
    glovebox, storage under the seat,
    side pouches in the door,
    back seat, on the floor, pockets, jacket ...
    on a shelf or in a drawer.
    pro film, consumer film its all in the same place.

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I have solved all of the problems mentioned above at a stroke. I live in the U.K.

pentaxuser
    Meaning you wear a kilt to maximize fertility?

Lee

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin