Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,059   Posts: 1,561,583   Online: 656

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses

Shooter
    35mm

Lenses

Hey what do you guys think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-1000mm-Lens-...QQcmdZViewItem

Is that a good deal, is it a decent lens or is it just crap? I don't know Phoenix so I wondered. Apparently its new. Perhaps someone can check this out.

-Kevin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kevin

I've seen these in the past in OM mount and been tempted but apparently the lens is only of medium quality and it is certainly slow, it reaches 1000mm with a teleconverter which would lower quality further and reduce the speed by a stop I believe

Hope this helps

Marcus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have one of these, sans the converter. Under the right conditions it can make nice negatives. The contrast is not great; it is reasonably sharp. At these focal lengths technique is all important- a long, slow lens=really good tripod, perfect technique to get acceptable results.
    If you like to mess around with such things, the rear tube of the lens unscrews. I was able to clobber together an adaptor and use it on rollei sl 66. It actually covered the negative reasonably well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Save your money. Crap.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's slow,large & inexpensive but light.
    Not necessarily crap but you get what you pay for. It's not going to compare to a lens costing 10X the price but for once a month/year use so what?
    I believe it's a pre-set lens which means you're going to have to stop the lens down to the working aperture before exposure yourself.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Kevin, and welcome to APUG.

When I look at that lens, my first thought is - "how much space would I need to store it?"

Marcus mentions above that when you use the teleconvertor, you lose one stop. Actually, I think you lose two stops with that teleconvertor.

By the way, I have a suggestion about starting threads here. It is a very good idea to use a slightly more informative thread title. For this thread, I might consider something like "Pheonix 500mm pre-set telephoto lens". That way when we look at the list of active threads, we will know something about the subject, and if anyone in the future does a relevant search, the thread may show up in the search results.

Hope this helps.

Matt

P.S. I dont know whether or not you are familiar with the term "pre-set lens", but if not, it would be a good idea to understand it before you decide whether or not to make your purchase.
    Last edited by MattKing; 06-25-2008 at 11:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Never had or used one, but a friend did. He made mention once that he'd been better off buying a football bat.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    35mm

Lens

I wasn't seriously considering it but I've just seen these and wondered. One thing I wonder and forgot to ask is I thought there weren't anymore manufacturer's of lenses with FD mounts?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinbell View Post
    Hey what do you guys think about this?

Is that a good deal, is it a decent lens or is it just crap? I don't know Phoenix so I wondered. Apparently its new. Perhaps someone can check this out.

-Kevin
    You get what you pay for. Cameta Camera is a reputable eBay seller. That said, they don't sell any items at a great bargain.
    "If your pictures aren't good enough,
    you're not close enough." -Robert Capa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    You get what you pay for. Cameta Camera is a reputable eBay seller. That said, they don't sell any items at a great bargain.
    Phoenix is an Asian company. Lord knows who made the lens??
    The lens appears to be a simple, preset T Mount lens. Reminds me of the old Spiratone lenses of yore.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin