Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,573   Online: 1181

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    The EOS 3 has been bedevilled with quirks (and in sometimes, major faults), both major and minor, since it was released, and many owners silently put up with quirks such as the oft-reported "sticky-shutter button" syndrome.
    Never heard of this before and I'm reading about the EOS3 in several forums since years. The exposure issue with the first batch is the only problem I'm aware of.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can speak highly of Nikon's FE2 for its simplicity and excellent ease in the hand. I went back to manual focus after being very undecided with AF in its early years (1985 onward). Today I use an EOS 1N, EOS 1N RS and a long-suffering, much repaired EOS 5. I've used the EOS 3 as a 'shoe-in' with no operational problems to speak of in hostile SW Tasmanian weather. Really, I think the EOS 3 is too much of a camera to just pick up and run off a few photos of bub. Taken an example: my mint EOS 1N, for all its fearsome reputation, was bought from an owner who only used it to snap his wife conducting mass on Sundays (!)... a grand total of only 8 rolls of el cheapo film through it... (this was verified via bench testing with the device Canon uses to "interrogate" the camera for operational and statistical information).

There is no harm in using old cameras and the Nikons (FE2 FM, FA), Olympus (OM 1n, 1N, 2N, 4Ti) and Canons all have their admirers. If I could find one I'd pick up an FE2 and maybe FM2 ... "just for old time's sake" LOL!

.:: GRH ::.
    Moderator, Canon EOS1N-series message board, KL (AU)
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 07-02-2008 at 05:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: expansion of statement
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

EOS 3: nothing to be afraid of

Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    Never heard of this before and I'm reading about the EOS3 in several forums since years. The exposure issue with the first batch is the only problem I'm aware of.

Spurious reports from 1998 to 2003 of mirror failure after locking up, overlapping frames and erroneous Tv/Av values. The 3s I have used (2) have worked reliably. There is a general opinion that faults affected an early batch of this model. Another observation: users should thoroughly acquaint themselves with the behaviour of the CF (custom function) combinations: it is not implausible that a CF function is engaged which (intentionally) alters the behaviour of the camera's controls or response and owners can mistakenly interpret this as a "fault", and when working quickly you can certainly be tricked. Historically I've made this silly faux pas with my EOS 1N/RS; I keep a card with the camera telling what is engaged, where and the effect!

I'd use the EOS 3 any time with confidence, new, (the ECF is especially good) but second hand models ideally need to go through professional bench checks.

.:: GRH ::.
    Moderator, Canon EOS1N-series message board, KL (AU)
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 07-03-2008 at 02:34 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo last para
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin