Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,674   Online: 787

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought my first SRT-101 in 1972 and still use it along with an X-570 and another SRT-101 I pick up along the way. My first and still favorite lens is the 58mm f/1.4 MC Rokkor-PF. I have an MD 28mm f/2.8, an MD 50mm f/1.7, an MD 135mm f/3.5 and recently pick up an MD 35-70mm f/3.5 zoom. My only non-Minolta glass is a Sigma 70-300 f/1.4-5.6 APO Macro that is a terrific lens. After the 58mm all the others were picked up used at bargain prices except the Sigma which I bought new. I agree with Jersey Vic that the ROKKORFILES website is a great place to get info on these fine lenses.

Regards,

Steve O.
    Steve O.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 20mm lens is AWESOME, so is the 24mm, and so is the 50mm 1.7 and 1.4, (the older 1.7 50mm can focus so close, it'll seem like a macro lens!) the 50mm macro is wonderful, the 85mm 1.7 is the BEST 35mm lens I have. Something about the bokeh on the Minoltas are just so much nicer and different than Nikkors.

This is from the 50mm 1.4

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I will never forget my 50 f/1.4 . . .
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    It's a great shame that a company making such good products has gone down the tubes.
    I was in the camera selling biz at the end of the Minolta era. They did make some nice stuff, but they were their own worst enemy. The beginning of the end came when they went to auto-focus, they just couldn't keep things consistent enough to make people feel comfortable with the system. The program cards, the different lens mounts (from MF to AF to AF with power zoom to APS AF), and the wildly different control layouts made it tough to sell after a while.

If you like shooting with primes, you can do very well (especially for the money) with MD/MC lenses. A real hidden gem was their APS SLRs, they made the best lenses of any APS system IMO. Anyway, it is too bad to see one of the great, innovative companies go under...

Isaac
    See my adventures in Yemen here:
    www.isaharr.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I thank you for the nice shot, Eric, and I thank all of you for the informative comments.

I have narrowed my body options to the XG-M, X-570, and X-700. I will be looking for a nice one. I am not quite sure which body to go with yet. I tend to prefer working in metered manual mode. Also, I use a light meter (Sekonic L-308S) about 90-95% of the time.

I just love using my AE-1 Program in manual mode. It has the aperture readout in red (LED) on the right. I like being able to see what the camera offers for metering, and compare it to my light meter--and the Canon lets me do this. Thus, which of the three bodies mentioned above would allow me to work in this manner?

I also like the soft touch of the AE-1P shutter release. How do the three Minolta's compare? I avoid cameras that need more pressure on the shutter release, as it is bad for hand-held shooting. There is nothing more defeating than getting the exposure, composition, and focusing right, but having to worry about camera shake because of poor design. I got rid of my Nikon N80 for this reason.

Thanks,
    Glen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    having to worry about camera shake because of poor design

Not an issue, really. We somehow managed sharp images at 1/15 with mechanical shutters 40 years ago.

And the Minolta lenses are true bargains. Lovely. Leitz and Minolta were very sympatico,
    shared a similar philosophy about image making.

Shooter
    35mm
    As I am discerning about the three bodies mentioned above, I am also looking at various MC and MD lenses. I have noticed that some MD lenses do not have the "Rokkor" designation? Is this good or bad--or neither?
    Last edited by FilmOnly; 07-04-2008 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    As I am discerning about the three bodies mentioned above, I am also looking at various MC and MD lenses. I have noticed that some MD lenses do not have the "Rokkor" designation? Is this good or bad--or neither?
    Neither. They stopped using the "Rokkor" designation in later lenses. The quality of the glass is generally the same. Older "MD Rokkor" will tend to have more metal parts than the newest lenses. Just avoid the "Celtic" line of Minolta lenses as that was their lower-priced bargain line.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FilmOnly View Post
    ...I tend to prefer working in metered manual mode. Also, I use a light meter (Sekonic L-308S) about 90-95% of the time.

I just love using my AE-1 Program in manual mode. It has the aperture readout in red (LED) on the right. I like being able to see what the camera offers for metering, and compare it to my light meter--and the Canon lets me do this. Thus, which of the three bodies mentioned above would allow me to work in this manner? .
    You really want the X-570 because the XGM and the X700 don't give you a comparative reading in the finder for manual mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The MD is the newer and in many times also the better optically!
    The MD f 4 70-210 mm Zoomlens was also build for leica if I remember correctly and it was an amazing lens even full open!

Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin