Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,541   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Film

I was just wondering if there was a place where film could be bought in bulks with a savings then going to a store and getting it. This may be a stupid question, sorry if it is. I am using 35mm, the speed varies since I am still trying and learning. Also which brands are better then others when using film? I have a Nikon N55. Thanks!!!
    Melinda Glover

What kind of film do you want? Colour? B&W? I'm guessing you're not processing the film yourself.

Try:

www.freestylephoto.biz

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl

I was looking for both coulor and black and white. Thank you I will try those links.
    Melinda Glover

Shooter
    Large Format
    Melinda,
    Another source for black and white film is PhotoWarehouse.biz . They carry 125 and 400 ISO film (35mm) already loaded in canisters. Price varies with quantity purchased. Good luck.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

The cheapest way to get B&W film is to buy a bulk loader and load it yourself. This isn't very hard but does add a few added problems. I'm not sure your Nikon lets you set your own film speed. Getting bulk loaded film processed may also be harder.

I like Agfa APX 100 B&W film. It is relatively cheap. Better then that it looks good to me. Supposedly the film Freestyle sells under thier own name is Ilford. I think that may be the story with Photowarehouse to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't overlook our list sponsors JandC Photo and Calumet - you can click on their links at the top of the page.

Bulk load film is less expensive, but I always found it harder to print when I used it at a newspaper. Fred Picker said it was movie film made with a thicker film base so that it could stand the motors in a movie camera. I just know that the 35mm bulk Tri-X at the newspaper felt thicker and exposed differently than the regular Tri-X. I would fear that, as Melinda is using commercial processing, the processor might not understand the extra exposure I found bulk film to require. I'd stick with the regular stuff.
    juan

Thaks guys this gives me a lot to think about and a lot of words to look up. I can't wait till the day when I understand photo language.
    Melinda Glover

Quote Originally Posted by juan

Bulk load film is less expensive, but I always found it harder to print when I used it at a newspaper. Fred Picker said it was movie film made with a thicker film base so that it could stand the motors in a movie camera. I just know that the 35mm bulk Tri-X at the newspaper felt thicker and exposed differently than the regular Tri-X. I would fear that, as Melinda is using commercial processing, the processor might not understand the extra exposure I found bulk film to require. I'd stick with the regular stuff.
    juan
    Does movie film use the same perforations? Somebody [I want to say out of Seattle but I don't remember] supposedly used to sell movie film and then you needed to send it back to them for processing.

All I can say is that my times seem too short when printing. The only real downside I see is the frame numbering scheme.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I understand it, 35mm was originally movie film. At some point after it became popular for still cameras, the manufacturers made versions with a thinner film base. They had the same sprocket holes/perforations.

I remember the outfit in Seattle. I never used the film, but I remember it was something special - maybe you got both negatives and slides from it?
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Re bulk film:
    I've never noticed any difference between 'original rolls' and bulk film purchased in manufacturer's packaging.
    There are companies offering reloaded movie film. Never used one of these.

Jorge O

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin