Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,112   Online: 1037

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard that the meter battery for the older F-1 is no longer made. Is there a useable substitute?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, the Weincell zinc-air batteries. These don't last as long as the old mercury batteries or alkaline batteries, but they are the correct voltage, and they have the correct discharge pattern for older meters. In the U.S., the cheapest place to get them is B&H. Not sure about the UK, but Calumet would be a good possibility.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

With most cameras that took the old 625 mercury cell you can substitute the very cheap 675 zinc air hearing aid battery. I've done so in many cameras.

In fact, I suspect the Wein cell is nothing more than a 675 zinc air hearing aid battery fitted with a metal collar to bring it up to the diameter of the 625.

A packet of around half a dozen 675 zinc air hearing aid batteries costs around five bucks. Each cell will last up to 6 months once the tape is removed from the air vent.

I've read some tests on the web that indicate the output characteristics of the 1.4 volt zinc air cell is much closer to that of the original 1.33 volt mercury than anything else on the market.

The only hitch may be the smaller diameter. I've never found that to be a problem. If it is tweaking the tension of the battery contact spring in the camera's battery compartment will fix it.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    A friend of mine had to get a new battery for her F1. But instead of going thru all the aforementioned hassle, she just took it into the local camera repair shop and they recalibarated it to accept the new batteries. Very cheap and ulimately easier.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    See my post under the same question for Ftb's. The original is still the best option.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin