Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

pentax autofocus cameras?

I'm lost. A buddy has a pentax digital and now wants to break into film. He can't afford somethign top of the line, and I can't seem to find any real comparisons of the cameras availible. Help, please?

Shooter
    35mm
    Is he pretty much set on Pentax autofocus? I have a Pentax Zx-50, which has an autofocus setting, but I have always been more pleased with my strictly manual focus only Pentax Spotmatic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about a used Pentax k1000?

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why is auto-focus important? Unless he's looking to use the lenses he has from his digital system on a film body.

First you must make sure his lenses will work properly on a film body. Does Pentax make digital specific lenses, and does he use them. If so, he'll have to buy lenses for the film camera he get.

What I tell all my students to get is a used Pentax K-1000 body. A great camera, with superb optics.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    he is aware he can't use his Da lens on a film body, however autofocus is mandatory for him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

K Mount Website

Has he looked at Bojidar Dimitrov's K Mount website ? It has a pretty comprehensive list of K mount bodies including the autofocus ones.

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    I'm lost. A buddy has a pentax digital and now wants to break into film. He can't afford somethign top of the line, and I can't seem to find any real comparisons of the cameras availible. Help, please?
    I have owned Pentaxes for nearly 40 years - some people swear by the K1000, I consider it to be pretty crude and totally obsolete. Its one virtue is that raw beginners are less likely to break it, its two major drawbacks are firstly that it takes quite a lot of skill to obtain accurate exposure with the (very primitive) full-field integrating metering, and secondly any example you may find second-hand is likely to be worn out. In this day and age, when second-hand prices are so low, a quite highly-specified modern Pentax like the MZ-5n can be acquired for no more than £50 and will work very much like your friend's digital. Once he has a film body, he will be able to acquire all the lenses he wants for very little money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PZ1p is a great camera. The autofocus works pretty well (even in a cave once) and the rest is as easy to use as other Pentaxes. It might have features you'll never use, but it's easy to use it without going into the extras. I've had mine for 7 years and it's my go-to 35mm.
    I did have a ZX5, but I found it to be a little cheap feeling. I haven't tried their other newer ones.

edited to add - B&H has a couple of PZ1p in their used department for about $200.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Mz-5n is a pretty good camera, I have no idea what it was called on the US market, though...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    It would help if you gave APUGers a max that he can pay. All Pentax auto focus cameras seem to go for very little these days. The *ist seems relatively rare on the secondhand market but I recall that a few years ago it won a context when tested against the Nikon and Canon equivalents.

The PZ1p fetches a little more than the rest but has a higher spec. If he can wait a few more months then I suspect there might be amazing bargains due to the economy resulting in a tightening of belts. I have noticed cameras prices in the U.K. dropping considerably in the last 6 months.

I have a MZ7 which recently fetched, as a body only, just under £30. Ridiculous price really. If this fall in prices were to continue, the only problem will be that sellers will stop offering cameras. There comes a point when you may as well keep your camera if buyers are only willing to make insulting offers.

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin