Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,853   Online: 947

Shooter
    Multi Format

Autofocus problem with Nikon N90s

My new-to-me N90s was acting poorly in AF mode.Wouldn't lock on target and seemed to be having an electrical issue.Did a search on the web and found that dirty camera contacts may be the root of the problem.Cleaned both camera and my AF lenses with a wee bit of ethanol on a Q-tip and the AF is now working.
    A further search turned up a product named "DeoxIT" that does a superior job of cleaning electrical contacts.Does anyone know of a good source for this product?I'm thinking local because it would be cheaper as my photography budget has been negated by the need for a roof replacement on the house.Ugh!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an F80, I got fed up with missing some shots because the focus would 'hunt'. So I switched off the AF and now focus manually.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    My new-to-me N90s was acting poorly in AF mode.Wouldn't lock on target and seemed to be having an electrical issue.Did a search on the web and found that dirty camera contacts may be the root of the problem.Cleaned both camera and my AF lenses with a wee bit of ethanol on a Q-tip and the AF is now working.
    A further search turned up a product named "DeoxIT" that does a superior job of cleaning electrical contacts.Does anyone know of a good source for this product?I'm thinking local because it would be cheaper as my photography budget has been negated by the need for a roof replacement on the house.Ugh!!
    The contacts are gold plated so alcohol such as IPA or ethanol should be as good as anything else, as they're in a fairly "clean" environment in the camera/under the cap I doubt you'll even need to clean them again.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not local, but good service and selection:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....e_ID=3&x=0&y=0

Plain Deoxit will clean it up. The Deoxit Gold prevents/minimizes future oxidation.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dsullivan View Post
    The contacts are gold plated so alcohol such as IPA or ethanol should be as good as anything else, as they're in a fairly "clean" environment in the camera/under the cap I doubt you'll even need to clean them again.
    No! Don't waste a good India Pale Ale on cleaning contacts.

(Funny that that was the first thing I thought of with that - the second thought, isopropyl alcohol, will work quite well for this application .

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin