Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 904

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll second Claire's suggestion to look for a Russian viewfinder. I've got one, and I see auctions for two just like it on eBay now, plus a few in eBay stores -- search on "(fed,zorki) viewfinder". Unfortunately, they (and many other Russian/FSU photo products) have gone up in price over the past couple of years. Still, there are a couple of auctions that should go for $40 or less, shipped, assuming there aren't many bids on them. (Check the sellers' other items; maybe you'll stumble across something else you'd like, which may help bring the per-item shipping costs down, albeit at higher total cost.) These viewfinders are actually multi-format, with five focal lengths ranging from 28mm to 135mm, and one of these is 50mm. I use one with my FED 5 camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you had a look for a KMZ turret finder?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Soviet turret viewfinder that is a copy of the Zeiss turret viewfinder seems to be rising in price these days.

There are viewfinders from the 1950s and 1960s made in Japan that seem to be reasonably priced.

And I see a couple of Soviet 5cm viewfinders on eBay with "Buy It Now" prices of $30. You also have to factor in shipping costs, but they shouldn't be high, because the weight should be low.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The focal length equivalent of a pinhole is the distance between the pinhole and the film, regardless of the size of the pinhole, so if the pinhole is 50mm from the film, it will see the same as a 50mm lens. As it happens, if you use a pinhole body cap on a 35mm SLR, the pinhole will generally be around 45mm from the film, so a 50mm finder should be just right.

One that I like is the Voigtlander Kontur finder. You can use one for 35mm or 6x9--the field of view is the same. It's not a viewfinder that you look through with one eye. With one eye, you look through the finder and you see the frameline. The other eye stays open to see the scene. Your brain puts them together, so you see the frameline suspended in space with no optical interference. They show up on eBay sometimes, or try Juergen Kreckel (certo6). He may have one.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting - thanks for clearing that up. FWIW my viewfinder is a T.O.C. Universal Finder, made in Japan. Seems like a good little finder, if you can find one cheap enough.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin